General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

Low OG...any suggestions?

(1/1)

hd3:
Alright, so just got done brewing an IPA.  Based on my recipe calculations the OG should have been 1.062.  After the boiling process and adding water I tested the gravity and it is at 1.040.  Significantly lower than my intended OG.  I am a little disappointed and really surprised as my previous IPA hit my intended OG at 1.060.  Any suggestions at this point?  I have already pitched the yeast so not sure what else can be done except just ride it out and see where it lands.

Here is the fermentables.

5 gallon batch.

9.15# of pale extract
.25# of cane sugar (wanted to dry it out a little)

roughly 7 ounces of hops
1 oz magnum
6 oz of centennial

Any thoughts?

thanks for your help.

mcclain26:
You could try adding honey. If you boil it for 10-20 minutes you shouldnt really get any honey flavor. I would just cool it and dump it in you'll up your gravity. I've had really good luck with honey in IPAs.

jeffy:
That looks like enough extract and sugar for the higher gravity.  Perhaps you didn't stir well enough after topping off with water before taking your reading?

hd3:
Jeffy,  I think you might be spot on.  I am having a feeling I did not mix it well enough even though I rocked the carboy back and forth for awhile.  Oh well.  I gave it another good shake as I could see the separation after hooking up my blow off tube.

Barely any fermentation activity this morning but it is still a little early.  I am going to take another gravity reading this afternoon. 

Thanks for the suggestions.  I was dumbfounded that I would get such a drastic OG difference with extract. 

The only thing I thought was not mixed well or too much top off water. 

Thanks again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version