Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: whirlpool = cloudy beer ?  (Read 2389 times)

Offline rodmanxxx

• Cellarman
whirlpool = cloudy beer ?
« on: April 15, 2013, 08:53:19 am »
8 gallon brew pot, malt extract & specialty grains, 1/2 whirlfloc tablet for last 5 mins of boil, bottling
I've been getting good results with the new wort chiller I got for xmas (thanks babe), drops temp to 75 in 15 to 40 mins depending on air temp, and nice clear wort sitting on top of the cold break. I decided to try whirlpool for my first time, after the temp got to 75 last week, so removed the IC & stirred it up real good, which got all the cold break mixed in with my nice clear wort. Waited 15 mins, it was still cloudy, but I got impatient, partially due to my pot sitting in 80 degree NM sun, so opened the valve & drained into the fermenter. It drained all the break, there was hardly anything left in the pot. It fermented fine at 72 degrees, yesterday I transferred to secondary. But it's pretty cloudy. Is there anything I can do to help clear things up prior to bottling. I was thinking after the ferment is over, use isinglass. Or would chilling the carboy in an ice bath for a few days do anything (you know, ice bath, cold break...). Any idears would be appreciated.
It's all fun and games until somebody loses a liver.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: whirlpool = cloudy beer ?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 09:01:38 am »
Really, if it was going to settle out in the whirlpool, it should settle out in the carboy without help. Isinglass won't hurt though.

It sounds like you should whirlpool when you first put the immersion chiller in. Then it will settle during cooling and you can just open the valve when it is cooled.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline rodmanxxx

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 09:13:29 am »
Oh, whirlpool before i put the IC in, dang, wish i'da thought of that, it makes way too much sense. Thanks for the tip, i will do that in the future for sure. So I guess I'll look up how to use isinglass and see if it helps.
It's all fun and games until somebody loses a liver.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 09:14:22 am »
Whirlpooling with the chiller running will speed your cooling too.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958