Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Slow Fermentation  (Read 2454 times)

Offline brewtime_chris

• 1st Kit
Slow Fermentation
« on: April 12, 2013, 07:13:24 pm »
I am still very new to brewing, but I have made a few extract brews.  My question might be something simple, but some help would be appreciated.  I have a 1 gallon test batch in primary, but it seems that fermentation is kind of slow when I compare it to other batches that I used a dry yeast.  I used WYEAST 3056 and the temp has held at around 69.  What could cause the slow fermentation or is this to be expected?  Like I said, I am still learning and very new so any help or explaination would be helpful.  This is the first time I have used a yeast in a liquid form.

Thank you

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Slow Fermentation
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 07:14:49 pm »
Explain what you mean by "slow fermentation".
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewtime_chris

• 1st Kit
Re: Slow Fermentation
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 08:16:38 pm »
Is what I mean is that I put timer on my airlock to see how often it was moving, which was around every 30-45 seconds.  With the few extract batches that I have done I was able to see a rapid and a noticeable fermentation process happening.  I am just not seeing this happen with this 1 gallon batch.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 08:27:59 pm »
Hmm,  might be the size difference. If one gallon is five bubbles a minute wouldn't five gallons be twenty five?

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

Offline brewtime_chris

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 08:52:57 pm »
Could it be that I might have to raise the temp a few degrees to around 72 or 73?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Slow Fermentation
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 09:21:14 pm »
Is what I mean is that I put timer on my airlock to see how often it was moving, which was around every 30-45 seconds.  With the few extract batches that I have done I was able to see a rapid and a noticeable fermentation process happening.  I am just not seeing this happen with this 1 gallon batch.

First of all, airlock bubbles aren't really a good indicator.  Second, there's no reason one fermentation should look like a totally different one.  Thirdly, this is a one gal. batch.  There's not much food there for the yeast.  It's entirely possible that you missed the bulk of fermentation and it's just winding down.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewtime_chris

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 09:39:51 pm »
Thank you very much for your time and response, now I am a little more at ease.

Happy Times and Good Brews

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Slow Fermentation
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 10:02:01 pm »
Thank you very much for your time and response, now I am a little more at ease.

Happy Times and Good Brews

RDWHAHB!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 09:12:44 am »
If you pitched the whole pouch of liquid yeast in a one gallon batch then you definitely pitched more than enough yeast and the bulk of fermentation occurred within a few hours. Those pouches are designed to be pitched into a larger batch of beer and/or used in conjunction with a starter.

The great news for you is that you're going to have a gallon of great beer ready in a few weeks and that gallon batch has a great amount of fresh yeast that you can repitch in a larger batch.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing