Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What Am I Missing in This Artcle?  (Read 11124 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
What Am I Missing in This Artcle?
« on: April 15, 2013, 06:44:02 pm »
No Experience. $7000 dollars. = Profit!

Typo on the amount? Will they hire someone that knows how to brew?

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2013/04/miller_road_microbrewery.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
Re: What Am I Missing in This Artcle?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 07:44:15 pm »
He plans to spend about $7,000 to purchase new equipment and remodel.
500 to 1000BBL brewery + 2 employees.
And this all for only $7000.
Even 10 times that amount is doing it on cheap and no labour cost in it.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
What Am I Missing in This Artcle?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 08:11:41 pm »
You guys scoff, but it can be done. Assuming magic elves will be involved.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 08:18:35 pm »
I'd love to get my hands on a system that will put out that much beer for only $7,000. Including remodel cost!  Must be a typo. $70,000 is a much more believable figure.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 08:32:18 pm »
That's probably not a typo. All the cool kids are starting severely under-capitalized breweries.

I wonder if all these new "pro" brewers will siphon off business from properly run breweries, ruining not just their own business, but several others as well. Hopefully they'll go under quickly enough that the good breweries who deserve the business can stay afloat. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:35:32 pm by nateo »
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 09:34:58 pm »
If so we will all be brewing on used commercial gear before long

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 09:45:52 pm »
That's probably not a typo. All the cool kids are starting severely under-capitalized breweries.

I wonder if all these new "pro" brewers will siphon off business from properly run breweries, ruining not just their own business, but several others as well. Hopefully they'll go under quickly enough that the good breweries who deserve the business can stay afloat.

Sounds like you've been talking to Larry Bell or Kim Jordan or Jim Koch about their worst fears regarding this "boom".

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 10:05:09 pm »
Their success will be directly proportional to the number of great friends they have that are happy to drink their crappy beer once they actually start charging for it.

Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 11:58:15 pm »

I don't know if the crappy breweries will necessarily hurt the good breweries. Craft beer is here to stay. It may not grow as fast as it has been but it ain't going away either.  If someone experiences crappy beer at a local brewery I seriously doubt they will swear off beer all together. If anything they will gravitate towards the better breweries and the problem will work itself out.  I do agree that a lot of new breweries are under capitalized.  One just went under in my area. Although I am hesitant to call it a "brewery" since their beers were contract brewed 100 miles away. In the end it just didn't pay the bills to make it worthwhile. Too bad, because even though it was brewed on contract, the beer was pretty good.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 05:04:54 am »
You guys scoff, but it can be done. Assuming magic elves will be involved.

Had an old boss that used to start these conversations with:

"Well, if I had enough midgets and buckets..."
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 05:42:11 am »
They don't mention what his other businesses at the location are.  I suppose he could already be running some kind of food production already and simply needs to augment existing equipment, put up a wall,buy some tables/glassware and build a bar.

Small business owners are usually serial venture capitalists so you really don't know what they can pull off.  I've worked for some real jewels in my younger days.  They always saw opportunities but weren't too good at the long game sometimes.

Paul

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 06:46:31 am »

Sounds like you've been talking to Larry Bell or Kim Jordan or Jim Koch about their worst fears regarding this "boom".
They all were around in the late 90s when many breweries went under.

I would think that the $ amount is a typo, might have to contact mlive and see what they say.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 07:36:18 am »
What I'm talking about is market share. In some markets, there might be easy growth and unmet demand. In others, any growth in your market share means a decrease in your competitor's market share. The pie is getting bigger, but not fast enough to feed all the new mouths coming to the table.

Craft beer is  growing at about 15% per year. In 2012, craft beer was 13,235,917 bbl. The previous year, it was 11,467,337 bbls, that's 15.42% growth in one year. 

So there were 1,768,580 new bbls of demand. In 2012, there were 2,347 breweries in operation, and 409 new breweries that opened, and 43 that closed. That's a net of 366 new breweries, or 15.59% growth. Sounds good, right?

How much of that new demand was captured by established breweries? I know some (maybe most) of that was captured by New Belgium, Bouldevard, Sam Adams, etc. So how much was left for the start-ups? I'd be surprised if more than 25% of the growth was going to startups. I'd suspect it's more in the 10% range. If I'm right, 10% of the new demand is  176858 bbl, or 483bbl per new brewery. There might be some room for small breweries in certain markets, but you also have to look at the massive investments NB and Oskar and others are making in building new factories. The companies with the most capital will be best positioned to grab the new demand.

There are a lot of local/regional factors that go into this, and I don't have solid numbers for where the growth is going, exactly. 15% growth per year is not sustainable over a long period of time.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 07:39:17 am by nateo »
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline bwana

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 07:56:37 am »
I agree that 7000 dollars does not sound right,but just because the owner has no brewing expierence does not mean he will fail. One employee could be an expierienced brewer. Keeping your overhead down and starting small will probably lead to his success.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 08:02:18 am »
15% growth per year is not sustainable over a long period of time.

Agreed, but for the time being though, it is 15% of a fairly small number (6.5% of total market) in comparison to the much larger market for beer in general.  Still room for growth as most younger folks are going for craft beers and even some older folks are getting converted.  Some of the larger markets may reach saturation before the smaller markets as I believe that is where we are seeing the largest growth currently.  Or not. ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim