Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Hotel question  (Read 2381 times)

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
NHC Hotel question
« on: March 13, 2013, 09:49:46 am »
So I am planning way in advance to attend the 2014 NHC in Grand Rapids...which is my hometown.  Super excited to have NHC in such a great city.

I have a noob question.  Does AHA/NHC reserve blocks of hotel rooms or do attendees just try to find what they can? 

I already noticed that most rooms in city hotels are booked up during the dates of the conference.

Thanks for entertaining this question.
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: NHC Hotel question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:00:47 am »
The AHA actually commits to the purchase of blocks of rooms at several hotels.  This allows us to bargin for better rates on both hotel and convention space.  These rates are typically below the going rates for the hotels.

This is an important part of setting up a conference.  For GR we have commitments in multiple hotels and, I'm sure, will be looking for more.

My suggestion is to wait for the NHC conference block to be opened, my GUESS, is sometime in February 2014, but it is way too early to say exactly.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 10:21:10 am »
Excellent!  I figured that was the case based on what I saw about the upcoming NHC, but just wanted to make sure. 

Thanks Bonjour!
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 04:58:17 pm »
My suggestion would be to announce the exact location of the conference well ahead of the blocks of rooms being available. It's much easier to plan rather than having to wait until almost the last minute to find out.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!