Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Christmas Beer  (Read 5148 times)

hschofi

Christmas Beer
« on: April 18, 2013, 11:11:04 am »
Thinkin bout a Christmas Beer made with candy canes! Anyone else gone there before? what was the outcome?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Christmas Beer
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 11:28:16 am »
Before you make a peppermint beer, try drinking a beer after you brush your teeth.  Then tell me if it's a good idea!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 11:35:19 am »
but i brush my teeth with beer 8)
Don AHA member

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 11:41:51 am »
Before you make a peppermint beer, try drinking a beer after you brush your teeth.  Then tell me if it's a good idea!  ;)

While I too have no interest in mint beer, it's actually some of the other additives in toothpaste aside from the mint that lead to the nastiness when you drink certain beverages after brushing your teeth. That's why Mojitos aren't gross, but toothpaste plus citrus juice is vile.

A better idea would be to swirl a candy cane in a base beer similar to the one you are considering for your Xmas brew. I still don't hold high hopes for the combo, but that will paint a more accurate picture.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

hschofi

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 11:45:03 am »
Thats a very good idea! I'm going to try it now!................................... Hmmm interesting, spearmint seams like an ok match, but has to be very subtle.. Peppermint and nasty! Maybe if I do a choc stout and add mint?

hschofi

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 11:46:51 am »

While I too have no interest in mint beer, it's actually some of the other additives in toothpaste aside from the mint that lead to the nastiness when you drink certain beverages after brushing your teeth. That's why Mojitos aren't gross, but toothpaste plus citrus juice is vile.

A better idea would be to swirl a candy cane in a base beer similar to the one you are considering for your Xmas brew. I still don't hold high hopes for the combo, but that will paint a more accurate picture.

Great idea, Im going to try it with a few different styles over the next few months and see what I find..

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 11:50:26 am »
I wouldn't brew with it, but gotta say, I tried the Stone Imperial Chocolate Mint Stout and it wasn't horrible.  The mint was pretty well in the background.  Any more mint than that would be a really bad idea IMO.
Jon H.

hschofi

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 12:08:45 pm »
I wouldn't brew with it, but gotta say, I tried the Stone Imperial Chocolate Mint Stout and it wasn't horrible.  The mint was pretty well in the background.  Any more mint than that would be a really bad idea IMO.

Im gonna have to go pick that up if I can find it.. I have 2 great Beer Stores that carry hundreds of specialty and Craft Brews and  Tap house that has over 100 beers on tap.. So someone is bound to have it..

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 12:09:06 pm »
Some flavors are not for beer IMO. Such as oysters or foie gras. I fear mint may be in the top twenty

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 12:12:17 pm »
I totally agree.  If it weren't a Stone beer, I wouldn't have even tried it.
Jon H.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 03:26:14 pm »
I think mint goes much better in mead than in a beer.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 04:35:21 pm »
I have used mint in a beer with interesting results. Once a year I do an asian inspired blonde ale with flaked rice, ginger, mint, and green tea. I don't use enough mint to where it is very noticeable. It probably doesn't sound great to most but it is a decent beer. There is a lot going on in the flavor and I need to reduce the ginger a bit.

Sorry I know this is off the topic of xmas and candy canes...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline rapurcell85

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 02:26:58 pm »
I did a mint stout and have had a few other mint beers from other homebrewers. All of them have been porters or stouts. I think a subtle mint flavor can go well in a chocolaty stout. Especially around the Christmas season. I used spearmint leaves for my beer. And know of another brewer that used a mint extract that went well, and resulted in a stronger mint flavor.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 03:26:29 pm »
Doesn't Perle hops have a mint like flavor/aroma? I think I remember reading that somewhere. If that's true, it might be a good hop for a Christmas stout...
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 03:39:42 pm »
Some flavors are not for beer IMO. Such as oysters or foie gras. I fear mint may be in the top twenty

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

I agree.
Then again,  I don't think spices of any type belong in a real Christmas beer (unless it winds up as part of a grog type of drink).  Maybe I'm just a stubborn traditionalist.   8)

Of course, an easy way to test the idea out would be to smash up some mint leaves with  mortar&pestle and stir it into your strong beer of choice.

But I think Denny's toothpaste analogy is pretty much spot-on.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971