Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cloudy Maris Otter - how to clear my EIPA  (Read 2604 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Cloudy Maris Otter - how to clear my EIPA
« on: April 18, 2013, 01:44:07 pm »
A couple years ago someone (Bluesman???) made a comments about Munton's MO giving him cloudy beers.  I've got 10 gals of English IPA made with WLP007 and Muntin MO (and a bit of C40) that just will not clear up.  I make a lot of APA's with this yeast and they usually drop pretty clear pretty fast but this one just won't clear even with gelatin.  It's been cold crashed for 2 weeks now. 

So, short of filtering or waiting since I can't do one and am too thirsty to do the other, any idea what would help this drop clear?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Cloudy Maris Otter - how to clear my EIPA
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 02:19:03 pm »
An opaque serving vessel?

just a thought. seems like I remember this discussion and it finally came down to wait it out or drink it cloudy.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 02:20:58 pm »
How did you transfer the beer?  Have you moved the kegs a lot?  I love WLP007, it's pretty much my house yeast.  The one issue I have with it is initially that yeast drops like a ton of bricks, but it you disturb it it takes along time to settle out again, for whatever reason.

Also, any dry hops?

I have heard about the clarity issues with MO, but I haven't experienced any myself with MO.

Have you tried Biofine or isinglass?

Otherwise, my only suggestion is time. ;)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 02:32:37 pm »
An opaque serving vessel?

just a thought. seems like I remember this discussion and it finally came down to wait it out or drink it cloudy.

Would that vessel, by chance, be red?

I have a small handful of these: http://blog.oktoberfesthaus.com/2011/09/12/2011-oktoberfest-beer-stein/, though I must admit they are not offical Oktoberfest ones.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 02:34:51 pm »
We can't seem to get Biofine here.  I'd love to try it but you have to keep it cold so I've never brought any back from the states.  I will order some Isinglass if it's not clear by next weekend because I will be in the big city for a beer judging and can hopefully grab some.  Luckily I have no hardcore vegan friends with all the animal parts in this beer (sorry Jonathan).

I haven't move the beer at all since I kegged it.  I wish that there was a sight glass on kegs because I have this picture of the top 6 inches being crystal clear as it slowly, slowly, slowly settles out.
Of course, if I could make enough beer that my EIPA's could sit for 6 months it probably would clear up. 

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 09:00:26 am »
I don't have a solution for this beer, but I have noticed a haze in a few of my MO beers as well recently.  I'm fairly certain it's not the yeast because I've had beers made with NA 2-row drop brilliantly when using it.  I'm thinking of trying a short protein rest on my next MO beer and see what that does.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 09:14:06 am »
My last two beers with MO are brilliantly clear. 

One (the most recent) was definitely with Munton's. The other maybe Warminster Floor Malted MO or whatever NB sells as English Marris Otter (they don't specify a maltster).  I can't recall which I ordered.

Maybe I'll pull a pint of the recent brew with Munton's and check tonight, but I know the previous one had no haze whatsoever.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 09:28:36 am »
I think I'm using Crisp at the moment so it could be maltster specific.

I've brewed nice clear MO brews in the past but they were likely made with Thomas Fawcett.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 08:51:59 am »
Try to do Protein rest next time.
Also prolong boil 90+ minutes and kettle clerifiers might help.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com