Author Topic: 2 week Diacetyl rest?  (Read 806 times)

Offline quattlebaum

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
    • Wildhops
2 week Diacetyl rest?
« on: April 18, 2013, 05:36:12 PM »
So my Munich helles just arrived within 6 OG points from finishing and i have taken it out to let it rise to room temp for a Diacetyl rest. I would like to use my fermentation freezer to brew another batch while my Helles remains at 65ish for the diacetyl rest.
So ? is will it harm the lager to leave it at this temp for 2 weeks or so to ferm another brew?   

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
Re: 2 week Diacetyl rest?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 05:54:41 PM »
I've done it.  Can't say if it hurt it because I have nothing to compare to but I liked the beer I made.

Offline erockrph

• Brewmaster General
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • Critical Tastings
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 07:04:57 PM »
Shouldn't be a problem. My standard practice for lagers is to ferment, raise to 60's for a D-rest/dry hop for up to 10 days, then bottle and condition warm for 3 weeks prior to lagering in the bottles. My lagers are generally at room temp for a month before I start lagering.

As long as primary fermentation has finished up there should be minimal impact by holding at a warmer temperature.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 07:26:27 PM »
I do this a lot.  I think it will be fine.  If you have any cool part of your house to keep the fermenter cool after several days d-rest, it might be better, but don't sweat it if you can't, the beer will turn out fine anyway.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 05:46:24 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^what they said.

My only advice is to make sure not to open the fermenter, even to take a gravity reading.  If it will be out for 2 weeks, it will finish.  Don't risk the chance of a fruit fly or bacteria by taking a reading.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 09:23:53 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^what they said.

My only advice is to make sure not to open the fermenter, even to take a gravity reading.  If it will be out for 2 weeks, it will finish.  Don't risk the chance of a fruit fly or bacteria by taking a reading.

Dave

+1
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim