Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPA and Co2  (Read 3476 times)

Offline chadchaney97

• Cellarman
IPA and Co2
« on: April 25, 2013, 03:53:42 pm »
Ok, so I have posted a few threads trying to nail down why my IPA's taste like crap and have worked through all the different suggestions and come to the conclusion that something is happening at kegging time.  I have adjusted hops, malts, yeasts and water profiles and end up with the same-ish results.  I just did a batch with Chinook, Simcoe and Cascade and it tasted really really nice after I cold crashed and was racking to a purged keg.  When I pulled a sample from the keg, the beer does not even resemble what was in the carboy.  I purged with co2 and made sure there was no splashing of oxygen flowing in the tube.  Keg was just cleaned and rinsed with StarSan (cleaned w PBW 1st) and lines were just cleaned.  My question is this could it be the gas I am using?  I get mine from a welding shop here in town.  It is the only variable I have left!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: IPA and Co2
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 06:46:53 pm »
I wouldn't think so.  It should be just CO2.  Does it affect any other beers in the same way or is it just the IPAs?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline chadchaney97

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 02:48:54 pm »
Seems to just be IPA's, can't get one to taste right at all, so frustrated! 

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 03:00:22 pm »
can you describe in more detail the changes you are perceiving?

can you post the details of the recent recipe also? 

that might help us a bit.

BTW - I doubt its the gas - one of the local breweries here gets their gas from the same welding place i do - and if it were your gas, then all your beers would have the same affliction.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
IPA and Co2
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 06:26:38 pm »
Does it taste bad after you have it carbonated? Also, I'm unclear on the bad taste you're getting. Is it just that all of your IPAs are similar, or is it an off flavor?

I know I usually have an anxiety attack when I taste my beer before it's 100% carbed. But after it's carbed up, I love it. YMMV
Trey W.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 07:59:44 am »
Check your gas lines! I'm working through an issue right now where everything was turning funky (mainly noticeable in IPA's or hoppy beers) and not good after a few days to a week in the keg. I've narrowed it down (I think) to crud or mold in the gas lines. I disassembled my lines and soaked them for a day in Oxiclean, rinsed, and let hang dry for a couple days.  Just reassembled and kegged a nice IPA the other day. So far, so good.  The gas itself is fine, but if your gas lines have mold in them from back pressure or liquid/moisture getting in the lines (pressure in keg higher than what's going in), you'll get mold build up and the co2 going into the keg will taint your beer. I'm preeeeetty sure this is what was happening to me. If it isn't, then I am absolutely lost as to where to look next; I've cleaned, sanitized, replaced hoses, started fermenting in kegs, doing closed transfers, make sure I pitch a lot of yeast, aerate well, the works!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 08:04:31 am by beersk »
Jesse

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 08:54:50 am »
What Co2 vol are you shooting for? High Co2 vol in IPA tastes harsh, and the more hops the more harsh it will taste. I shoot for a low Co2 vol. This could be why it tastes fine "flat" but not carbonated.

Try this, pour your glass and take a fork and spend a couple minute violently knocking out the Co2. Take a taste/smell. See if it is any better.

Also, you say you cleaned your lines, did your disassemble your taps? QDCs?