Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First kit questions  (Read 4400 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
First kit questions
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 08:07:17 pm »
I'm considering a stainless steel propane turkey fryer. From everything I've read so far this may be my best bet. Now my only concern is where I can do an ice bath. Perhaps a big aluminum tub? My sink won't work as I'm worried the hot pot will crack the corian.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: First kit questions
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 08:41:38 pm »
I think you'd be happier with five gallon. But all of this is up to you. A 3.5 would mean you could only boil a couple gallons. I used to boil 3 in my 5 gal pot. I know I couldn't wait to get my 8.5s

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 09:21:26 pm »
I'm considering a stainless steel propane turkey fryer. From everything I've read so far this may be my best bet. Now my only concern is where I can do an ice bath. Perhaps a big aluminum tub? My sink won't work as I'm worried the hot pot will crack the corian.
While I doubt that the pot will crack your sink, I'm not willing to bet on it, either. Try a plastic tub from your local home improvement center. You will have no problem finding one that fits your size requirements, and if it cracks or breaks, you're not out a substantial amount of money.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 07:16:14 am »
I would suggest you pick up a rope tub type toy bucket, they sell them at Walmart for, like $7.00. They are definitely large enough to handle an ice bath and the bonus is you can then use it as a swamp cooler to help control fermentation temperatures as a water bath!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 11:01:58 am »
I would suggest you pick up a rope tub type toy bucket, they sell them at Walmart for, like $7.00. They are definitely large enough to handle an ice bath and the bonus is you can then use it as a swamp cooler to help control fermentation temperatures as a water bath!

+2

I got mine at Walmart.  I also used it as a swamp cooler.  I've upgraded to an immersion chiller and a freezer for temp control.  But I still use the tub to store brewing stuff in, and when I take a keg outside for the neighbors it goes in there with ice to keep things cool.