Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dead Space  (Read 4001 times)

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
Dead Space
« on: April 19, 2013, 06:47:19 am »
How do you measure dead space in the mash tun?  I am using a 10 gallon orange cooler with a 12" false bottom. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Dead Space
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 06:52:34 am »
Add a known amount of water, and measure exactly how much water you are able to drain out of the system. The amount you can't drain is effectively your dead space.  Mine is ~ 1/2 gallon, slightly less. Take that into consideration for your water measurements.
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 07:22:17 am »
Add a known amount of water, and measure exactly how much water you are able to drain out of the system. The amount you can't drain is effectively your dead space.  Mine is ~ 1/2 gallon, slightly less. Take that into consideration for your water measurements.

+1,
You can use the same method to determine if  you have dead space in your brew kettle as well!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 07:27:58 am »
Why would you have dead space in the brew kettle?  Wouldn't you just pick up the kettle and pour everything out?  Of course there would be the grub issue.  I will try the recommendation for both my tun and kettle and see what is left.  Thanks guys.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 07:39:50 am »
Not everyone picks up the kettle and dumps it out.

I would venture to guess that most people don't actually. I have a spigot on my kettle that drains through a hop stopper screen.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 07:41:19 am »
Why would you have dead space in the brew kettle?  Wouldn't you just pick up the kettle and pour everything out?  Of course there would be the grub issue.  I will try the recommendation for both my tun and kettle and see what is left.  Thanks guys.

If you just dump the contents then, no, there would be no dead space but if you use a kettle with a valve there would be dead space

-Amanda beat me to it!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 07:51:17 am »
Not everyone picks up the kettle and dumps it out.

I would venture to guess that most people don't actually. I have a spigot on my kettle that drains through a hop stopper screen.

I was just looking at a hop stopper screen at http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/hop-stopper.  I have a 10 gal blichmann with a spigot so perhaps I should place an order.  Thanks.

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 08:14:25 am »
I measure dead space by pouring water into the otherwise empty tun, allowing it to drain naturally, then pouring the volume that remains into a measuring cup.  Of course, that won't work if you have a fixed or heavy vessel.