Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Second thoughts on brewing  (Read 9061 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Second thoughts on brewing
« on: April 19, 2013, 06:35:55 pm »
As some of you have read, my first kit is arriving on Monday. I am feeling quite overwhelmed because I've realized that I will have to purchase some sort of propane burner as well as figure out a unique cooling solution for my wort (Florida warm water issue). I've actually considered (gasp) returning the kit. I have a passion for craft beer, but I'm wondering if I've prematurely gotten into this hobby. Am I over thinking my first brew? Thanks to everyone for the support so far.

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
Re: Second thoughts on brewing
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 06:40:51 pm »
relax. don't worry. have a (home) brew!

take delivery of the kit. make the beer. don't worry about a burner or big kettle or chiller. enjoy the process. it is simple and fun. take a step back and don't get caught up in advanced things before you've even brewed a single beer. it may not be perfect but, if you choose to move forward, learn from any and all mistakes. it's only beer.

RELAX. DON'T WORRY. HAVE A (HOME) BREW!

i didn't get a chiller until about beer number 8 or 9. and i didn't get a burner until further in on the process. you don't need these things to make beer. i have done 3 gallon biab batches on the stove top. don't feel like you need any single piece of equipment until you figure out your brewing process.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 06:44:04 pm by sparkleberry »
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 06:43:34 pm »
Just make a big ice bath and you will be good to go!!  My biggest piece of advice is to put your carboy/bucket into a water bath to try and maintain fermentation temps. It WILL make a ton of difference in your final beer. Have fun!!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 07:09:09 pm »
Wait...

Why do you have to buy a burner or chiller? Perhaps what you should start with is a no-boil kit like a Coopers or Brewferm. What is most important is sanitation at key points and the proper fermentation temps: both which are easily achievable with a first try at making beer.

There is no reason you can't make 5 gallons of fabulous beer with an ordinary household 2 gallon stockpot in the kitchen. Can you explain why the kitchen stove is off limits? All you have to do is heat the water...

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Second thoughts on brewing
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 07:15:55 pm »
Well it's not off limits, but boiling smelly wort for an hour on our gas range will most likely cause my better half to disapprove of my new hobby quickly. I assume using our nat gas range top would be much more expensive over propane. Lastly, I fear both a boil over and potentially damaging the range ( maybe what I've read is damage to glass top stoves).

Offline roll0164

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 07:16:19 pm »
I'm currently working out batch number 11 and I still don't have a burner or chiller. As of now I've been doing stove top and when I bumped up to all grain I just ended up doing the boils in two 5 gallon pots. As for chilling, I live in Wisconsin so my ground water comes out < 50. I just fill up the bathtub and dump in a couple 5 gallon buckets of snow from my driveway. I think I was below 80 in about 45 min on my last brew.

Now that summer is coming around I'll look at getting a chiller and a burner so I can move outdoors. Otherwise who cares, you're making the beer so you're going to love how it tastes regardless. I'm sure some of mine were pure crap and they still tasted fantastic to me
Chris

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 07:19:07 pm »
Ditto. Keep in mind the variety of experience on this forum. Anything from guys like me who have brewed 20 batches in 6 months to full on pros who know all there is to know. Don't panic. Make a batch and ease into it. Remember that 1000 years ago no one had starsan or plastic or stainless steel or etc and they made beer

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 07:21:00 pm »
Well I can help you as others can if you want. My advice will be sincere, simple and easy to follow.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 07:29:49 pm »
Ha I hate double posting but here goes...

flbrewer what type of kit did you purchase and do you possess the equipment such as buckets and capper etc... in order to ferment and bottle your beer?

Perhaps the kit was an intermediate or advanced variety?

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 07:33:12 pm »
Ha I hate double posting but here goes...

flbrewer what type of kit did you purchase and do you possess the equipment such as buckets and capper etc... in order to ferment and bottle your beer?

Perhaps the kit was an intermediate or advanced variety?
I ordered the below kit with the glass carboys. I also ordered a case of 22 oz. bottles.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/beer-equipment-starter-kits/deluxe-brewing-starter-kit.html

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 07:33:44 pm »
Well I can help you as others can if you want. My advice will be sincere, simple and easy to follow.
Thanks for the offer!

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 07:35:24 pm »
Thanks guys, good advice here.

Offline lornemagill

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin/Round Rock, TX
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 07:45:45 pm »
i used to add ice directly to the wort to chill it instead of topping off with water, especially when brewing partial mash/extract.  this cools it instatntly and i never had an adverse effect.  yes store bought ice.  i know this is contraindicated by many but it worked fine for me for many batches.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 07:51:18 pm »
So which beer did you choose along with the equipment in the link? It probably has steeping grains and hop additions which are easy to work with. If this is the case we can examine your choices in approach. However, dipping a toe into the brewing experience can be done with less complexity and with excellent results. Then you can decide if you want to proceed and learn more.

Brewing is a lot more robust and forgiving than many would admit. ;)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 08:56:17 pm »
So the long and short of it is this....go slow, start easy, realize there's nothing to lose and everything to gain in the process. We've all started off as novice brewers, and we've all got much to learn and improve upon after countless batches. That's the beauty of this hobby. I started with the simple LME kits and basic equipment, and made the transition to all grain and more sophisticated equipment and procedures when I was ready. It's an evolution, and it can be as painful or enjoyable as you make it. Choose the latter, and just read, ask questions, and move at your own pace...you won't be disappointed. Good luck and keep us in the loop- we are all here to help.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: