Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Time to brew....coffee  (Read 1937 times)

Offline rhcpfan4002

• Cellarman
Time to brew....coffee
« on: April 21, 2013, 07:11:37 am »
I was going to brew my morning coffee and while I was filling my pot with tap water it came to mind. I spend all this time and energy understanding brewing water for beer. What about coffee and tea? I hoped on google and maybe it was the frustration of trying to do research on a Ipad but I could not find anything. Do we have any coffee geeks who can ansewer this question? Does checmical composition of your brewing water for coffee and tea have an overall effect on the outcome of your cup of coffee or tea?
“Ho! Ho! Ho! To the bottle I go
To heal my heart and drown my woe
Rain may fall, and wind may blow
And many miles be still to go
But under a tall tree will I lie
And let the clouds go sailing by”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Time to brew....coffee
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 09:29:44 am »
Tea works better with hard water. I think the calcium binds with tannins to make the tea taste smoother. Don't really know about coffee, but I think hard water is bad for it.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Three

• Assistant Brewer
  • Avon, IN
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 09:59:35 am »
I was going to brew my morning coffee and while I was filling my pot with tap water it came to mind. I spend all this time and energy understanding brewing water for beer. What about coffee and tea? I hoped on google and maybe it was the frustration of trying to do research on a Ipad but I could not find anything. Do we have any coffee geeks who can ansewer this question? Does checmical composition of your brewing water for coffee and tea have an overall effect on the outcome of your cup of coffee or tea?

Indeed it does.  Coffee needs "some" minerals in the water as does your brewing water.  Way too much info to post here.  Try this site for info.......  http://www.coffeegeek.com/

Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin by........

Offline rhcpfan4002

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 04:25:29 pm »
Thank you both. I'll take a look at that website and have a go at brewing better coffee and tea.
“Ho! Ho! Ho! To the bottle I go
To heal my heart and drown my woe
Rain may fall, and wind may blow
And many miles be still to go
But under a tall tree will I lie
And let the clouds go sailing by”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 09:04:55 am »
Just like beer, bad water makes bad tea and coffee. The local muni water supply is so bad I have to use purchased water for beer. I'd do the same for coffee but I drink too much coffee to spend the money on a water supply for my coffee. I do use a faucet mounted filter for my coffee water supply as well as my regular drinking water. It isn't ideal but it strips out most of the foul aroma and flavor in the water. At least enough that I can enjoy the coffee. 
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 11:48:28 am »
I brew my coffee with RO water, maybe I'll add some tap water to see if it makes better coffee.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico