Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Second thoughts on brewing  (Read 9085 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Second thoughts on brewing
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2013, 06:44:14 pm »
Brewing beer at home is one of the most rewarding things that I've ever done. It all started about 20 years ago and has evolved into a full fledged hobby for me. I love homebrewing for the art and craft. It comes from the heart and soul. Once I brewed my first batch there was no turning back. My wife is my greatest fan. It certainly helps to have the support of your significant other.

That being said, I encourage you to go for it. It's a very rewarding hobby. There are ups and downs just like with anything else. One thing is for sure, you'll have the full support of all of us here on the AHA forum.

So sit back, fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the ride my friend.

Welcome to the AHA forum.
Ron Price

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Second thoughts on brewing
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2013, 06:55:38 pm »
+!.  Well said.
Jon H.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2013, 07:14:45 pm »
It would help if we knew would part of Florida, fellow Florida brewer. If far we can talk, if close we can teach and reassure
Sorry, Jacksonville.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2013, 07:07:21 am »
I think I'd have to appologize for being one of the people who convinced you that you need lots of equipment. I mis-read one of your other posts and didn't realize you were just getting into brewing. There are many people who make great beer with minimal equipment - in reality, equipment makes brewing beer easier, but it doesn't make the beer better. Skill makes beer better.  Also, in spite of the ideal and/or complicated techniques you'll read about, many corners can be cut and you'll still make good beer that you'll enjoy drinking.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2013, 07:28:50 am »
I think I'd have to appologize for being one of the people who convinced you that you need lots of equipment. I mis-read one of your other posts and didn't realize you were just getting into brewing. There are many people who make great beer with minimal equipment - in reality, equipment makes brewing beer easier, but it doesn't make the beer better. Skill makes beer better.  Also, in spite of the ideal and/or complicated techniques you'll read about, many corners can be cut and you'll still make good beer that you'll enjoy drinking.
No apologies needed! Good point on the equipment not making the beer better. That being said, after weighing all my options, I took the plunge and bought a Blichmann burner and a 10 gallon SS pot.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2013, 07:39:14 am »

No apologies needed! Good point on the equipment not making the beer better. That being said, after weighing all my options, I took the plunge and bought a Blichmann burner and a 10 gallon SS pot.
Well there you go!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2013, 09:46:03 am »

Ha. You now have better equipment than my all grain equipment that I have been using for the last year and a half. But I sure am jealous. I think I might try to upgrade my burner and pot this year.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2013, 09:47:03 am »

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2013, 10:19:33 am »

Ha. You now have better equipment than my all grain equipment that I have been using for the last year and a half. But I sure am jealous. I think I might try to upgrade my burner and pot this year.
With your experience and my equipment, we should make great beer!

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2013, 10:33:16 am »

Looks like the forum (and thirst) reeled him in!

Welcome to the obsession!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2013, 10:44:39 am »

About that...I'll need about $20 from each person that has commented on my numerous threads to offset the cost.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2013, 11:33:30 am »

About that...I'll need about $20 from each person that has commented on my numerous threads to offset the cost.

.....and he fits right in  ;)
Frank

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2013, 11:50:44 am »
Didn't take much arm twisting.... ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis