Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Competition results - Bad addition on one of my sheets - what to do?  (Read 5872 times)

Offline perogi

• 1st Kit
Good evening!

I received my cover sheets today from the NHC and I noticed that one of the sheets was added up incorrectly.  I don't know if I should bother to contact them because with the mistake, the average comes up to 27.5  Without it, the average is a 29.5.

The score for a bronze cert is 25-29 and 30-37 for a silver cert.  Do you know if they round up?  If they do, who should I contact?

Normally I would be happy with the feedback but this is the beer that my SWMBO designed and helped me brew.  A silver would really make her more interested in brewing (a bronze will as well but...).

Thanks for any insight!
perogi.

Offline Tim Thomssen

• Cellarman
Re: Competition results - Bad addition on one of my sheets - what to do?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 08:39:27 pm »
It's not always an average, could be a consensus score.  I'm looking at a cover sheet right now and it says "at least two judges from the flight in which your beer was entered reached consensus on your final assigned score.  It is not necessarily an average of the individual scores."

In any case, that's just two judges opinions on a given day, not gospel by any means.  In my experience, you will probably get quite different results if you enter the same beer in a few other competitions.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 12:39:14 am »
You can contact Janis if you like.  It will not change anything for your beer (you did not place and will not advance) but she will mail you a silver certificate instead of a bronze certificate.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline perogi

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 05:57:23 am »
Thank you both for taking the time to reply to my question.

Tim - yup.  I saw that disclaimer.  It would be strange though if one person gave it a 30 and one gave it a 29 and then they said, this a 27.5 beer.

Tom Schmidlin - thank you very much!

And I know that this isn't a big deal to many people but I really want my wife to be excited about brewing (which is getting more and more difficult the more gear I acquire!). She made the recipe "from scratch" and helped me brew it.

Thanks again,
perogi.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 06:15:44 am by perogi »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 06:06:22 am »
Happy wife is the most important ingredient

"Freedom is temporary unless you are also Brave!" - Patriot

Offline perogi

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 06:16:16 am »

Haha!  ;D So true!

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 02:34:30 pm »

+1 on that Brother. 

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 02:49:04 pm »

+1 on that Brother.

+1 more!  Wife happy, everybody happy!
Dave Zach

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 04:00:06 pm »
+ However many it takes!  That's why at least once a year I brew her a fruit wheat with her choice of fruit.  Not because I like the style. We all get the idea !
Jon H.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 06:05:00 pm »
+ However many it takes!  That's why at least once a year I brew her a fruit wheat with her choice of fruit.  Not because I like the style. We all get the idea !

I have a brown porter that I brew with a pound of Blackberry Honey every 6 months or so that I call "Happy Wife, Happy Life Porter" It's my wife's favorite beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 06:48:58 pm »

I have a brown porter that I brew with a pound of Blackberry Honey every 6 months or so that I call "Happy Wife, Happy Life Porter" It's my wife's favorite beer.
Sounds great!  I made a honey porter a few years back that came out great,with orange blossom honey. Any fruitiness in the blackberry honey? I've never had it.
Jon H.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 12:34:48 pm »
Also, since NHC is a big competition - the winners were very likely chosen during a mini Best of Show round. During these rounds, judges taste the best beers in a category from different flights and pick the top three to get ribbons. They are actually prohibited from seeing previous scores during this process, since they want the judging to be based on current preception, not notes from a previous tasting.  So if it went to BOS, you can be reassured that a lower score didn't ruin your chances.  Although this doesn't apply to the certificates.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 08:35:40 am »
Not that this matters much, but I have been a stewart at both regional and national NHC comps.  I've always doubled checked the judges math.  It's wrong more than one might imagine.  The judges can get ereal busy, and anything us stewarts can do to help has always been quite appreciated. 

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 08:48:05 am »
Unbelievable! Drinking beer and messing up math?  What's next, people laughing and having fun?

Actually I would like to submit a couple brews some day just for the objective trained critique.  I can't imagine being a judge. There must be a lot of stress. I couldn't even umpire little league

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 09:00:49 am »
Unbelievable! Drinking beer and messing up math?  What's next, people laughing and having fun?

Actually I would like to submit a couple brews some day just for the objective trained critique.  I can't imagine being a judge. There must be a lot of stress. I couldn't even umpire little league

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

You should go stewart at a competition.  It's a great way to learn about the process and help the homebrew community.