Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Competition results - Bad addition on one of my sheets - what to do?  (Read 5871 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Competition results - Bad addition on one of my sheets - what to do?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 09:13:00 am »
I'll give it some thought. Would be a fun learning experience

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 10:06:45 am »
I'll give it some thought. Would be a fun learning experience

I think you'd love it!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 10:13:03 am »
I'll keep my eyes open and go some time.

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 10:26:31 am »
Not that this matters much, but I have been a stewart at both regional and national NHC comps.  I've always doubled checked the judges math.  It's wrong more than one might imagine.  The judges can get ereal busy, and anything us stewarts can do to help has always been quite appreciated.

I just judged at one of the regionals and our steward saved me by catching a math error on one of my sheets.  I'm not the type to screw up simple addition very often, but it happened.  Honestly, I think stewards are what makes these competitions work.  It would be a mess without them.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 11:38:09 am »
I just stewarded my first comp. It was for sure a fun experience. got to pretend I was a buttler  :D

But I did catch a couple math mistakes and one or two situations when I suggested the judge might want to fill out the sheet a little more. Hopefully that helped the entrant get some good feedback.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 03:01:43 pm »
Not that this matters much, but I have been a stewart at both regional and national NHC comps.  I've always doubled checked the judges math.  It's wrong more than one might imagine.  The judges can get ereal busy, and anything us stewarts can do to help has always been quite appreciated.

I just judged at one of the regionals and our steward saved me by catching a math error on one of my sheets.  I'm not the type to screw up simple addition very often, but it happened.  Honestly, I think stewards are what makes these competitions work.  It would be a mess without them.

Good stewards are always needed. It's when you get stewards who don't understand the implications of their actions/inactions that make the organizer's life turrrrible.  ::)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline capnjb

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 11:43:34 am »
Perogi,

What site was your beer judged at to get your score sheets so quick?  I didn't think we'd be hearing anything for another week or so... it's cool you received yours last week.  :)

*waits by the mailbox*

Offline perogi

• 1st Kit
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 04:02:33 pm »
Perogi,

What site was your beer judged at to get your score sheets so quick?  I didn't think we'd be hearing anything for another week or so... it's cool you received yours last week.  :)

*waits by the mailbox*

The more I look around, the more I realize that maybe I shouldn't have posted this so quickly.  I don't want the venue to get into trouble sending out the results too early.  This was my first competition (well since 1995) and was excited to get my results :-)

Regarding the other topic, I would definitely steward one of these events but they need to be a lot closer to my home (Northern New England)!

I haven't heard back from Janis but to be honest, I know that she's quite busy so I wasn't expecting one.

Thanks everyone for their posts.
perogi.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 04:32:28 pm »
The more I look around, the more I realize that maybe I shouldn't have posted this so quickly.  I don't want the venue to get into trouble sending out the results too early.  This was my first competition (well since 1995) and was excited to get my results :-)

Regarding the other topic, I would definitely steward one of these events but they need to be a lot closer to my home (Northern New England)!

I haven't heard back from Janis but to be honest, I know that she's quite busy so I wasn't expecting one.

Thanks everyone for their posts.
perogi.

I wouldn't worry about getting the site in trouble.  I think a majority of them have sent out their scoresheets (except NY  >:( ) and believe they were instructed to do so.

As far as local comps, I know there's one coming up in Lowell on June 1st (Merrimack Valley Homebrew Comp) and there's always the New England Regional Homebrew Comp in October.  Last year it was in Nashua.

What part of NH are you in?
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline perogi

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 04:55:01 pm »
Oh okay - I was out of St. Paul.

I live on the border of Maine in Milton.  You?

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2013, 05:45:38 pm »

I'm in Derry.  I am a member of the Seacoast Homebrew Club in Portsmouth.  We meet at A&G Homebrew on the 2nd Wednesday of each month.  We are going to be doing a Big Brew event on May 4th in the A&G parking lot, starting around 10am.  You should stop by.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline perogi

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2013, 06:05:46 pm »

I'm in Derry.  I am a member of the Seacoast Homebrew Club in Portsmouth.  We meet at A&G Homebrew on the 2nd Wednesday of each month.  We are going to be doing a Big Brew event on May 4th in the A&G parking lot, starting around 10am.  You should stop by.

Thanks!  I'm introducing a friend to homebrewing that day but we might make it down there.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 06:36:24 pm »

I wouldn't worry about getting the site in trouble.  I think a majority of them have sent out their scoresheets (except NY  >:( ) and believe they were instructed to do so.
[/quote]

I have not gotten mine yet. Anybody get theirs from Milwaukee yet? And do they come in the mail or via email?
Frank