General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Best yeast for "American" Tripel

(1/5) > >>

beer_crafter:
Planning on making a Tripel in the next few months, but using American hops.  Similar to Captain Lawrence Xtra Gold.  Not a Belgian IPA-- but a properly balanced Tripel using Amarillo hops instead of noble. 

Can anyone suggest a good belgian yeast strain that would play nicely with the peach and tangerine flavors from the Amarillo?

fritzeye:

--- Quote from: wahoo on March 01, 2010, 10:00:45 AM ---Planning on making a Tripel in the next few months, but using American hops.  Similar to Captain Lawrence Xtra Gold.  Not a Belgian IPA-- but a properly balanced Tripel using Amarillo hops instead of noble.  

Can anyone suggest a good belgian yeast strain that would play nicely with the peach and tangerine flavors from the Amarillo?

--- End quote ---

Should be WLP 530. Check out Can You Brew it on The Brewing Network, they interview Scott Vacarro from Captain Lawrence and he was generous enough to paint a good picture of how to brew it.
Good luck, that is a great brew to brew. Just be sure to make a big starter ;)

Beertracker:
I've been using Wyeast #3522-Belgian Ardennes and like the combo with Amarillo.  ;)

beer_crafter:

--- Quote from: fritzeye on March 01, 2010, 02:05:10 PM ---Should be WLP 530. Check out Can You Brew it on The Brewing Network, they interview Scott Vacarro from Captain Lawrence and he was generous enough to paint a good picture of how to brew it.
Good luck, that is a great brew to brew. Just be sure to make a big starter ;)

--- End quote ---

Awesome.  Scott Vaccaro is one of the really nice guys in an industry full of nice guys.   

majorvices:

--- Quote from: Beertracker on March 01, 2010, 03:59:54 PM ---I've been using Wyeast #3522-Belgian Ardennes and like the combo with Amarillo.  ;)

--- End quote ---

I like WLP550 for my tripels, and love to blend in Amarillo too, especially during the aroma adition. fantastic combination.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version