Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop addition question  (Read 1333 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Hop addition question
« on: April 21, 2013, 03:49:26 pm »
OK, getting very excited about my first batch http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/AmericanWheatBeer.pdf, limited choices with my brewing kit but from what I've read in the reviews this wheat beer is a bit hoppy.
Can I order additional hops through someone and add them into the recipe without completely screwing up my first beer? If so, I was looking here http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/DomesticHopPellets2012_s/1843.htm but don't see any indication on when to put the hops in the wort. Any suggestions to links that may show that?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Hop addition question
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 04:20:21 pm »
You sure can. I would pick am easy to get right style though. Like a stout or porter. But you really can do anything you want to.

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 04:40:49 pm »
When to add the hops depends on what you want from them....bitterness, flavor, or aroma.  You might want to brew the kit as is while you do a little study.  One of the best resources around is www.howtobrew.com
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 07:20:09 pm »
Yakima valley hops is a fantastic place to get hops. I know that is a bit off topic. I am just really happy with their prices and service.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 08:49:36 pm »
I'll second Denny. Brew it as is for now - give yourself to learn some more and then start tweaking things.

Welcome to the obsession!
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article