General Category > Kegging and Bottling

Extending the life of chest freezers question

<< < (6/6)

corkybstewart:

--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on May 07, 2013, 06:37:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: corkybstewart on May 07, 2013, 05:34:54 PM ---My chest freezer is now 9 years old, it runs in my garage which routinely hit 110F in the summer and low 20's in the winter.  I didn't insulate the collar, and I even sheathed it in oak plywood, something I since learned is very bad.  I keep my temp probe in a sealed, dry, empty water bottle.

--- End quote ---
Why is that bad?

--- End quote ---
Freezers apparently dissipate heat through the outside walls. The plywood holds heat in.

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: corkybstewart on May 08, 2013, 04:52:50 PM ---
--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on May 07, 2013, 06:37:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: corkybstewart on May 07, 2013, 05:34:54 PM ---My chest freezer is now 9 years old, it runs in my garage which routinely hit 110F in the summer and low 20's in the winter.  I didn't insulate the collar, and I even sheathed it in oak plywood, something I since learned is very bad.  I keep my temp probe in a sealed, dry, empty water bottle.

--- End quote ---
Why is that bad?

--- End quote ---
Freezers apparently dissipate heat through the outside walls. The plywood holds heat in.

--- End quote ---
Oh, gotcha. I thought you just sheathed the collar in plywood.

dean_palmer:

--- Quote from: corkybstewart on May 07, 2013, 05:34:54 PM --- I keep my temp probe in a sealed, dry, empty water bottle.

--- End quote ---

You can really improve your temp control by directly measuring what you are trying to control. Attach the probe to the side of the fermenter itself and cover it, or use a thermowell. Measuring the air in a bottle is inherently inaccurate as it doesn't properly represent the time it takes to change the temp of the mass of liquid that is your wort. It is only measuring the reaction of the air and that container. When this is important is where the fermentation is generating a lot of heat. By measuring the air in a bottle you are just creating a certain temperature in the fridge that is simply an ambient, but cannot react to the conditions in the wort.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version