Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: East West Rivalry?  (Read 8084 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
East West Rivalry?
« on: April 20, 2013, 01:10:33 pm »
Anybody on the forum a member of Oregon Brew Crew?  Denny?
We have a throw down between them and my local club, the Tampa Bay Brewing Enthusiasts Enjoying Real Suds (BEERS), to see who can brew the best IPA.
The way it works is they picked a neutral competition, 8 Seconds of Froth in Wyoming, and we each send as many as a dozen IPA entries.  Points go to the club with the most points, assuming at least one of those clubs' entries wins some points.
Later in the year our club will pick a different style and another neutral cometition for the second challenge.
Seems like a fun thing to do.  I am bottling my IPA today.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 01:36:50 pm by jeffy »
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: East West Rivalry?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 02:20:35 pm »
Anybody on the forum a member of Oregon Brew Crew?  Denny?
We have a throw down between them and my local club, the Tampa Bay Brewing Enthusiasts Enjoying Real Suds (BEERS), to see who can brew the best IPA.
The way it works is they picked a neutral competition, 8 Seconds of Froth in Wyoming, and we each send as many as a dozen IPA entries.  Points go to the club with the most points, assuming at least one of those clubs' entries wins some points.
Later in the year our club will pick a different style and another neutral cometition for the second challenge.
Seems like a fun thing to do.  I am bottling my IPA today.

Not me.  They're in PDX, 120 mi. away.  Besides, my club brews WAY better beers!  ;)  But it does sound like a fun challenge.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 03:52:08 pm »
That does sound fun.  Denny, put your money where your mouth is and have your club enter the same competition :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 04:41:51 pm »
That does sound fun.  Denny, put your money where your mouth is and have your club enter the same competition :)

You obviously don't know my club...but I'll ask around.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 04:44:44 pm »
Not the type A, competitive win or die sort?

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 04:50:00 pm »

Sure I do.  But you put it out there that they make WAY better beer :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 05:45:12 pm »
Not the type A, competitive win or die sort?

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

Most of them are already convinced that our club makes better beer than anyone and can't be bothered with proving it.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 05:45:49 pm »

Sure I do.  But you put it out there that they make WAY better beer :)

I'll bring it up.  Some of the young guns might go for it.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 07:44:27 am »
Sheet!  I usually judge that competition but I can't make it this year.  Wanted to give you some good judging! ; )  Does Brian know to expect them?  Although entries were due yesterday.

How did this get started?
Brew on

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 10:45:26 am »
Sheet!  I usually judge that competition but I can't make it this year.  Wanted to give you some good judging! ; )  Does Brian know to expect them?  Although entries were due yesterday.

According to the 8 Seconds web site, they are expecting a dozen entries from each club and plan to have a special session to judge the IPA category (Sunday IIRC).

Our club was approached by OBC initially.  I just hope we can hold our own with the hop region guys.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 12:19:31 pm »

According to the 8 Seconds web site, they are expecting a dozen entries from each club and plan to have a special session to judge the IPA category (Sunday IIRC).

Our club was approached by OBC initially.  I just hope we can hold our own with the hop region guys.

I'd guess your biggest obstacle will be the OBC's access to great hops.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 01:33:30 pm »

I'd guess your biggest obstacle will be the OBC's access to great hops.

Ya think?
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 01:51:11 pm »
Well, unless FL has suddenly become a hop growing paradise...man, if we had thought if it sooner, I could have sent you supplies to even the field!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 02:55:01 pm »
Well, unless FL has suddenly become a hop growing paradise...man, if we had thought if it sooner, I could have sent you supplies to even the field!
Now you think of it!
N
For the second round we get to chose the style and the competition.  We may go with Pilsners.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tedassur

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 08:58:16 pm »
Yeah, I might know somebody in the OBC ....  ;D

The OBC vs. BEERS Cross-Country Brew Off was in fact something I approached the BEERS with last year. It wasn't quite formalized until December or January.

Ted Assur
OBC Competition Chair