Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Second try at lagers tomorrow  (Read 2438 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Second try at lagers tomorrow
« on: April 20, 2013, 11:03:29 pm »
My first lagers are conditioning in the kegerator. Tomorrow I'm brewing two more. From stuff I have picked up on this forum, beersmith pod casts, and experience I'm trying a few techniques that are new to me.

I washed my yeast from the last two, decanted and pitched in three quart starters. Running the starters in my fermentor freezer at 50 F and they are chugging away.

My American has 9 lbs two row and 2 lbs flaked corn.

My Bohemian has 10 lbs castle Pilsner and 1 lb dextrine malt

Ignoring the grain h2o ratio rule and using as much mash water as will fit. Then just enough sparge to have a 7 gallon boil. Probably will be 6 gallon mash, 3 gallon sparge. Using my uncharted well water for first time ever so I will be testing ph and if needed I'll use some 5.2 but only if way off and only 1/2 tsp.

Boiling 90 min for DMS

Trying out FWH this time. Both will get an ounce of northern brewer at FWH. The American gets 2 oz of Mt Hood at flame out and the Bohemian gets two oz of Goldings at flame out.

Over night cold crash at 45 then rack to fermentors, pitch and run at 50 F. OG estimates about 1.050-55 so when they fall below 1.015 I will D rest at 60 until done. Then temp drop 3 deg per day to 35. Leave on yeast till no Acetaldehyde detected. 
I knew nothing about lagers until AHA forum. Thanks guys.

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 11:21:39 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Second try at lagers tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 09:12:58 am »
Well water was 6.5 as is and ten minutes into mashing my American I'm at 5.3! Guess I wasted money on that magic 5.2 stuff lol

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 09:52:29 am »
I washed my yeast from the last two, decanted and pitched in three quart starters. Running the starters in my fermentor freezer at 50 F and they are chugging away. 
^^^^That's fine but you do not have to make starters at lager temps unless you are pitching the entire starter.  It's much easier and faster to make at room temp, chill and decant.  Any other reason why you are doing this?

Ignoring the grain h2o ratio rule and using as much mash water as will fit.  <<<Why?  Sounds like a very thin mash.  Any particular reason you are doing this?

Boiling 90 min for DMS.  Good!

Dave Zach

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 09:49:19 pm »
I did thin to see if what I heard was true. That it doesn't matter so long as ph is in tolerances

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 04:19:08 am »
After two weeks at 50 and six days at 60, the American is at 1.010 and the Bohemian is at a whopping 1.004! No diacetyle or Acetaldehyde detected in either sample. Cold crashing now for keg day soon.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 12:22:41 pm »
After two weeks at 50 and six days at 60, the American is at 1.010 and the Bohemian is at a whopping 1.004! No diacetyle or Acetaldehyde detected in either sample. Cold crashing now for keg day soon.

That's low for a BoPils.  What yeast did you use?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 01:13:43 pm »
wow, 1.004 with a lb of dextrin malt?!  Sounds more like dextrose malt.  ;D