General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

The journey

<< < (2/4) > >>

phunhog:
I have been brewing pretty regularly for the last 5 years and I still feel the same way you do.  This hobby really is limitless!! Plus there are so many different facets of it that keep it interesting ( biology,  water chemistry, building brewing stuff/gadgets, political/business side of it, unique/historical beer styles, and on and on.  Glad you see it as a journey and not a destination. I think a  lot of people want to brew killer beer RIGHT NOW and don't understand that it is sometime a lengthy process to get to that point.

klickitat jim:
Well said

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

redbeerman:
It's funny how you can fine tune your process using the equipment you started with, then change things and have to adjust the4 process to get the same results.  Or you have a colder than usual winter or warmer summer.  I have temperature control for my lagers that works great, but since I rarely use my fermentation chamber for ales I find I am at the whim of the weather for ale fermentations.  Brew belts or the equivalent help.  A good grain mill, water chemistry, etc.  There is so much about making a truly great beer that takes time to perfect.

HoosierBrew:
+1.  It's definitely been a journey, and a fun one.  I started brewing in 1992 or 1993, when the ingredients and even the know how available to a homebrewer were so much more limited than what is available today. I arrived late to the party to this forum, even though I've been a longtime AHA member. Don't know why, but it's quickly become one of my best resources. I feel like I've learned more in the last 5 years than I did in the first 15, for sure. If you strive to get better in any facet of life, you'll get there. I can't imagine a better (or more obsession-inducing) hobby!

beersk:
I love this hobby. I've had my ups and downs, but fortunately I think I'm getting them worked out. And it's an ever evolving hobby, I think. I'm always thinking of ways to improve my process. I'm now fermenting 4 gallon batches in kegs.  There are always things you can improve. This is one of those hobbies that, if for some reason I can't drinking beer anymore, I will be doing it for a long, long time. It's definitely a journey without a definite destination; only to make great beer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version