Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Nat. gas stove boiling times  (Read 2204 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Nat. gas stove boiling times
« on: April 20, 2013, 03:10:56 pm »
OK, starting to get a better idea of what I'll be doing for my first brew (partial boil of 2.5 gallons) and I'm reading online that people using a gas stove can sometimes not get the water to boil, or it can take up to an hour for this. Has this been anyone's experience with this amount of water? I would like to stay indoors at this point, but if it will take that long, maybe I'll have to reconsider the propane burner route. Thanks!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Nat. gas stove boiling times
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 04:19:51 pm »
I have brewed outside for many years, but when I started, I used a gas stove.  The good thing about my kettle at the time was that it was wider and shorter, so it could literally straddle 2 burners ( it was an 8 gallon canning pot). So it would come to a boil in about 1/2 an hour or less. Obviously doing partial wort boils your pot would not be big enough to do that. Well hang in there until you can get a bigger pot. You'll be glad you did.  Better hop utilization, less darkening, better overall beer. You'll get there.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 04:25:05 pm »
Having said all that, it seems like 2.5 gallons should boil quicker than that. Check temps and keep the lid on in between checks until you get within 5 or10 degrees of boiling , then keep the lid off to avoid a big boilover.  Shouldn't take that long. Good luck!
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Nat. gas stove boiling times
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 04:44:31 pm »
It's hard to say as every stove is going to put out different BTUs like if you have a big Viking Range versus a everyday GE.

Try boiling the volume of water and see how long it takes to get going and assume that heavier wort will take a bit longer and make your decision from there
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 05:07:55 pm »
Insulate your brewpot.
It'll boil like a champ.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 08:05:26 pm »
I used to do 3 gallons on a basic electric range. Took about 20 min to get to 150 for steep then another 20 to boil.

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 05:49:37 pm »
Straddling works if the pot fits... And once at a boil you might not need both burners going full blast so you can monkey with that. Natural gas is preferable imo because it is cheap and will perform better than an electric range. However, I think electric is a better overall choice in regards to expense and efficiency if applied correctly.

I typically boil 13+ gallons on my NG stove- and it is a basic model. It heats up 16+ gallons to mash temp fairly easily with the lid on. Man, that built in thermometer has saved me a couple nasty burns. wish I had installed it sooner!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis