Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Java beans in coffee porter  (Read 4819 times)

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
Java beans in coffee porter
« on: April 22, 2013, 11:17:56 am »
I was thinking of using American Roast Java Superior beans for some cold-brewed coffee to put into a porter and can't find any info about acidity... though I probably don't need to worry too much about that since I'm cold-brewing it, right?  Has anyone here used those beans before?  Do you have any other recommendations?  I was going to start off with 1/2 lb coarsely ground beans and 32oz water for a 5 gal batch.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: Java beans in coffee porter
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 12:34:55 pm »
Go for it!
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 12:39:49 pm »
+1.  I used some cold-steeped Sumatra in a Breakfast-type stout before in about those amounts, I believe.
Jon H.

Offline aschecte

• Cellarman
  • Don't worry I'll drink it !!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 03:09:12 pm »
Well take this with a grain of salt as I have not done this personally but the head brewer and owner of a local micro brewery that I am good friends with has a coffee porter that has won numerous awards and e shared his technique brewing the recipe with me. According to him and he definitely cold extracted the coffee and proportionally your amount seems like a good start but he cold extracts in secondary and not in a additional amount of water ( ie. the 32 oz you mentioned ). He told me that the extraction is enhanced by the presence of alcohol and is smoother than by adding it as a separate post fermentation addition. Like I said I hae not done this myself so as they say  YMMV but this does come from a very reputable source.
don't worry I'll drink it !!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 03:28:07 pm »
Last time I added coffee to a porter, I coarsely cracked the beans, put them in a nylon hop bag and added them to the keg.  I don't recall the amount of coffee, but I could look it up.  Previously, I've dosed the keg with espresso, which is obviously not cold extraction.

The beans directly into the keg gave a smoother coffee flavor.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 03:59:44 pm »
aschecte - does your brewer friend draw wort off the batch to cold press the coffee or is the crushed beans added to the secondary for a while?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 04:10:01 pm »
Last time I added coffee to a porter, I coarsely cracked the beans, put them in a nylon hop bag and added them to the keg.  I don't recall the amount of coffee, but I could look it up.  Previously, I've dosed the keg with espresso, which is obviously not cold extraction.

I like the idea of the cracked beans in the nylon hop bag in a keg.  I've had good results cold steeping ,but I think I'll try that next time. I do it with hops in the keg for hoppy styles, so why not?
Jon H.

Offline aschecte

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 06:46:33 pm »
aschecte - does your brewer friend draw wort off the batch to cold press the coffee or is the crushed beans added to the secondary for a while?

It was to my understanding that the beans where added directly to the fermenter suspended in a filtration bag of sorts.... I unfortunately have not seen the actual process this was all just discussion as the beer in question won a BOS beating out breweries such as Ommegang, DFH, Brooklyn brewery etc.... he is a professional brewer / owner of a brewery. also keep in mind with his process this is all done in 80-120 BBL conicals and not in a home brew setup.

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 05:51:26 am »
Perfect timing for this posting.  I was just thinking the next brew will be a coffee enhanced porter or stout.  Aschecte, thanks for passing along the tip from your brewer friend.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 06:46:38 am »
I was thinking of using American Roast Java Superior beans for some cold-brewed coffee to put into a porter and can't find any info about acidity... though I probably don't need to worry too much about that since I'm cold-brewing it, right?  Has anyone here used those beans before?  Do you have any other recommendations?  I was going to start off with 1/2 lb coarsely ground beans and 32oz water for a 5 gal batch.
It's tannins you don't have to worry about with cold brewing, not acidity. But I don't think any coffee beans are acidic enough to affect beer in the concentrations we use them. I used 1/2lbs cold steeped in 5 gal and liked it - almost too strong.  Next time I'm going to add uncrushed beans directly to the beer for a few days and then rack it off to package.  I do worry about introducing oxygen with cold steeped coffee. The blogger Mad Fermentationist says the coffee flavor is more persistent this way too.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 07:56:44 am »

Dry-beaning...
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 10:23:01 am »
Until I a) upgrade to a home instead of my current condo situation or b) convince my wife a kegerator will look nice and have smaller footprint than all my bottling equipment, I still have to bottle, so dry beaning in a keg isn't an option. 

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 10:32:49 am »
You can dry bean in the fermenter...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 10:33:06 am »
Until I a) upgrade to a home instead of my current condo situation or b) convince my wife a kegerator will look nice and have smaller footprint than all my bottling equipment, I still have to bottle, so dry beaning in a keg isn't an option.
That's why I suggested whole beans. Just put them in the fermenter, no bag needed. I've had randalled stout with whole beans in the randall and plenty of flavor is extracted.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline aschecte

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 11:16:13 am »
It's tannins you don't have to worry about with cold brewing, not acidity. But I don't think any coffee beans are acidic enough to affect beer in the concentrations we use them. I used 1/2lbs cold steeped in 5 gal and liked it - almost too strong.  Next time I'm going to add uncrushed beans directly to the beer for a few days and then rack it off to package.  I do worry about introducing oxygen with cold steeped coffee. The blogger Mad Fermentationist says the coffee flavor is more persistent this way too.

Just to add to what your saying if you do a hot extraction with the coffee beans you will also then extract the beans oils as well which will have a multitude of other negative effects with head retention among other associated problems.