Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: dry hopping  (Read 3091 times)

Offline hospter81

• Cellarman
dry hopping
« on: April 10, 2013, 08:23:23 am »
Hello! it is supposed that if i leave dry hopping american C hops for more than one week at room temperature it will develop catty and grassy flavors isnt it? What happens if i use noble hops or for instance northern brewer for a long time? do i need also to remove at day 3 or 4 in order to avoid off flavors?

thanks!

Offline bwana

• Cellarman
Re: dry hopping
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 08:31:56 am »
I am a 4-7 day guy.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 08:45:08 am »
I like to dry hop 5-7 days. Can't speak for all noble hops.  I've dry hopped Saaz for 7 days with good results.  Wouldn't think the variety would matter that much. More the time.
Jon H.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 08:47:16 am »
You may have issues if you leave them in the keg at room temps for more than a week.  I usually add my dry hops to the kegs and let them set at room temperature ~70 dF for seven days then put them in to storage or service <40.  I never remove dry hops that are added to my kegs and I haven't had issues with grassy off flavors, even after several months. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 08:52:35 am »
You may have issues if you leave them in the keg at room temps for more than a week.  I usually add my dry hops to the kegs and let them set at room temperature ~70 dF for seven days then put them in to storage or service <40.  I never remove dry hops that are added to my kegs and I haven't had issues with grassy off flavors, even after several months. 

Good point.  I don't remove my keg dry hops either. Seven days @ room temp is my cutoff.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
dry hopping
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 08:53:56 am »
I think it's up to you and your own perceptions.  I've done hundreds of batches dry hopping at room temps for weeks and leaving the hops in the kegs in the serving fridge for months.  No problems with off flavors, grassiness, cattiness, whatever.  Rather than simply accepting what someone else has to say, I suggest you experiment and see what you prefer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 09:22:57 am »
I think it's up to you and your own perceptions.  I've done hundreds of batches dry hopping at room temps for weeks and leaving the hops in the kegs in the serving fridge for months.  No problems with off flavors, grassiness, cattiness, whatever.  Rather than simply accepting what someone else has to say, I suggest you experiment and see what you prefer.

+1 (with the exception of the hundreds of batches part :) )

The only time I've had issues with dry hops and off flavors was the IIPA I brewed that had 6 ounces of dry hops in about 2 gallons of beer. And that was simply a matter of not being able to get all the fine hop particulates out of the bottled beer. A month of lagering cleared that up nicely.

I typically dry hop at cellar temps (mid-to-high 60's), for anywhere from 5-14 days. Never perceived any cattiness in any beers.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline aschecte

• Cellarman
  • Don't worry I'll drink it !!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 02:01:56 pm »
I think the rule of thumb is 7-10 days dry hopping after that you can get a grassy like taste from the hops.... I personally have never gone past 10 days and have never had any problems but YMMV and maybe 3 weeks makes no difference than 10 days.
don't worry I'll drink it !!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
dry hopping
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 02:56:25 pm »
I think the rule of thumb is 7-10 days dry hopping after that you can get a grassy like taste from the hops.... I personally have never gone past 10 days and have never had any problems but YMMV and maybe 3 weeks makes no difference than 10 days.

That's an opinion, not a rule.  I've left dry hops in for months without a problem.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline aschecte

• Cellarman
  • Don't worry I'll drink it !!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 07:57:53 pm »

That's an opinion, not a rule.  I've left dry hops in for months without a problem.

Yeah I agree like I said I heard it was a rule of thumb..... nothing set in stone and to be honest at 10 days which is the longest I have gone I feel I could have gotten more aroma from the dry hopping..... Ironically I have a pale ale I am doing right now that I am racking into secondary tomorrow I as a experiment will be the guinea pig and I will dry hop for 30 days.... to be honest I can wait that long anyways as I have 3 full kegs and no space to keg for about 30 days anyways. I will post my results in a month. I think your probably right Denny.... I wonder where that rule of thumb began ? If I recall correctly I believe it came from the complete joy of homebrewing from Charlie Papazian or from Palmer IIRC..... great now I'm going to be up all night trying to source where I saw that first !!  :)
don't worry I'll drink it !!