Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My babies  (Read 11033 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
My babies
« on: March 01, 2010, 12:42:33 pm »
This year's hops are starting to poke their heads up!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 12:44:04 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: My babies
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 12:44:57 pm »
Awwwww yeaaahhhh!

Bring Spring!
Ron Price

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 12:53:46 pm »
You realize now that you have said something, you'll get a foot of snow and there will be shrinkage. :)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 01:01:04 pm »
AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!  Shrinkage!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 12:00:45 pm »
I had to go outside and check. Nothing yet here. March is the snowiest month for Denver, CO. It is raining today...Sigh...Winter is putting up a fight and Spring is putting up a fight...I hope spring wins.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 12:30:41 pm »
I checked mine
Still snow on them
But its melting FAST , hit 60 today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 02:04:18 pm »
Mine are about 3" tall.  Except of course for the new varieties that I'm expecting to arrive any day now ;D
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 09:04:03 pm »
Snow has melted and they are just starting to poke their heads up...ever so slightly.   8)
Ron Price

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 07:16:59 am »
Nothing here as of yesterday, still have snow but its melting.  I uncovered two plants about a week ago so the ground around them would thaw.  I'm not sure any of them will come up since I transplanted them from Ohio to here in September.   :-\  I may have to start over.

Denny, do you find it easy to harvest your hops with them growing on woven wire fence?  I haven't put up poles, cable or anything yet because I haven't decided what type of trellis etc. that I want to use.  Last year I used cables horizontally at about 10 feet with a single hemp rope drop line for each mound of plants to climb.  It worked okay but stretching a couple of sections of woven wire would be easy to do and give the plants support for lower lateral spread (making a nice privacy screen from the road) if I put a couple of extra support poles in the middle. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 09:28:55 am »
Denny, do you find it easy to harvest your hops with them growing on woven wire fence?  I haven't put up poles, cable or anything yet because I haven't decided what type of trellis etc. that I want to use.  Last year I used cables horizontally at about 10 feet with a single hemp rope drop line for each mound of plants to climb.  It worked okay but stretching a couple of sections of woven wire would be easy to do and give the plants support for lower lateral spread (making a nice privacy screen from the road) if I put a couple of extra support poles in the middle. 

Well, I wouldn't say it's easy, but it's not too bad.  Your neck and arms get kinda tired after an hour or so, but after that amount of time I've picked all that will fit into my food dehydrator, anyway.  I usually pick daily for about a week or so, so it's not too bad. 

www.dennybrew.com

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 03:08:29 pm »
Safer than getting up on a ladder! ;)

Hops work great for privacy screening, and if they are limited by height, the lateral branches really spread and fill in space.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 07:03:07 am »
Cool, I think I'll start hunting for some used fencing.  If I find enough I'll put two rows up so the height is about 10 feet or so... assuming my hops grow.   :-\   

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 10:01:29 pm »
Grow babies, grow! I better go check mine.  ;)
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 09:30:27 am »
My Cascades popped up this past weekend, still waiting for the Nuggets and Goldings.
Most of my hops are trellised, but I have some on a chain link fence and they produce at least as well as the trellised ones.  It's a lot easier to harvest too.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 12:31:27 pm »
I'm jealous. ;) I'll put some in soon enough I guess...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis