General Category > Pimp My System

Temp control options in Florida garage

<< < (2/3) > >>

flbrewer:

--- Quote from: blatz on April 23, 2013, 06:50:02 AM ---when you are ready, an upright chest freezer is the way to go, in my opinion (pictured in this thread; http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=14134.0)

before i got conicals, i had built a shelf inside and was able to fit 4 carboys or buckets in the fermentor at a time which was perfect.

but before that, for years I used a swamp cooler - 2 frozen gatorade bottles in the morning before work, 2 at night a little before bed and I was able to maintain 63-66 fairly consistent. 

where in J-ville you at?  i grew up in the Avondale/Riverside area.

good luck!

--- End quote ---

Are people using swamp coolers indoors with all of those ice exchanges? Or is it primarily used in a garage? I wouldn't think I would need much maintenance with ice inside.
Mandarin, the suburbs!

blatz:

--- Quote from: flbrewer on April 23, 2013, 06:57:21 AM ---
--- Quote from: blatz on April 23, 2013, 06:50:02 AM ---when you are ready, an upright chest freezer is the way to go, in my opinion (pictured in this thread; http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=14134.0)

before i got conicals, i had built a shelf inside and was able to fit 4 carboys or buckets in the fermentor at a time which was perfect.

but before that, for years I used a swamp cooler - 2 frozen gatorade bottles in the morning before work, 2 at night a little before bed and I was able to maintain 63-66 fairly consistent. 

where in J-ville you at?  i grew up in the Avondale/Riverside area.

good luck!

--- End quote ---

Are people using swamp coolers indoors with all of those ice exchanges? Or is it primarily used in a garage? I wouldn't think I would need much maintenance with ice inside.
Mandarin, the suburbs!

--- End quote ---

yeah - I kept the carboys in rubbermaid tubs and placed them in my guest bathroom tub.  you need to keep the temperature as constant as possible - spikes are the enemy.

dean_palmer:
Upright fridge or freezer with controller is the way to go. With Florida heat everything else is just too much work and has too much variance for me. I also ferment in a garage and deal with Florida heat.

Keep in mind with an upright fridge or upright "frost-free" freezer, they use an air recirculation system that is a lot more efficient than chest freezers and have much more ability to control temps quickly. They also have less lifting to get the fermenters in and out.

blatz:
not to mention smaller footprint relative to volume/capacity.

flbrewer:
I would think an inside cooler or water bath etc would stay fairly constant inside. The fridge outside doesn't seem too bad but I read things about mold here and it seems a waste. Additionally I think the fridge would get vetoed in congress.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version