Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Amarillo  (Read 10263 times)

Offline redzim

• Brewer
Re: Amarillo
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 07:23:05 am »
Looks like it's going to be very Amarillo....y....  Go for it!

And is that bad or good?

How will it compare to an all Centennial IPA?  More citrus? More pine? More earthy??

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 07:56:02 am »

And is that bad or good?

How will it compare to an all Centennial IPA?  More citrus? More pine? More earthy??

Heck no it won't be bad!  I love Amarillo.  I tend to get a citrusy/orange flavor when I use a lot of Amarillo.  I have found that a bunch of it can give you perceived sweetness.  If that's what you want, then it's not a problem.  I just did an IPA with a bunch of Simcoe and Amarillo at the end of the boil, flameout, and dry hop.  It ended up being around 70 IBUs, but I personally thought it was too "sweet" for my taste.  If I do this beer again I'll bump up the bittering hops.
Trey W.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 11:50:53 am »

And is that bad or good?

I haven't done a strict side-by-side, but I find Amarillo to be more orange-citrus and Centennial to be more lemon/grapefruity-citrus. Amarillo seems to be a bit more floral and a bit less pine than Centennial to me. But all-in-all they're pretty close, and a lot of the minute differences will vary between hop grower and crop year.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 12:00:22 pm »
+1
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 12:31:27 pm »
I was just able to taste my single-hopped Amarillo IPA last weekend. I think it tastes very grape-fruity. That being said, it is very good. I feel that it lack any backbone though. I would go with at least 2 oz of magnum since it's an 11 gallon batch. From what I understand, you have 10 ounces of Amarillo? To try and stay in check with what you are doing, I would go 2 oz at 15 minutes, bump the 5 to flameout and change it to 4 oz, and dry hop 2 oz in each corny. If anything, consider upping your bittering hops. But whatever you do, it will be very good! Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Frank

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 09:33:18 am »
Just tasted the batch I made with Amarillo.

Recipe for 10 gals: 24# pale malt, 2# Crystal 40L. 

Hops:
1.5 oz Magnum 14.1% @ 60 min
2.5 oz Amarillo 6.9% @ 20 min
5.0 oz Amarillo 6.9% @ 5 min
2.0 oz Amarillo 6.9% @ dry hop into keg (1oz per corny)

Gotta say, it's really nice. I might even like it better than an all-Centennial I did last fall, with the same grain bill and basically the same IBUs at the same times, just all Cent (even bittering).  I definitely get grapefruit and maybe a little pineapple out of Amarillo (although that may be because I just had a pineapple for breakfast), and even though the beer is attenuated pretty well (OG 1.058, FG 1.010) I almost think the Amarillo is adding some sweetness or at least fruitiness back in there and the whole thing just works. Highly recommended to anyone who hasn't tried one.

-red

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 11:31:26 am »
Sounds tasty. I usually get extra fruitiness with Amarillo. Definitely some grapefruit and orange.
Trey W.