Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Logo Feedback  (Read 25663 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Logo Feedback
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2013, 09:52:40 pm »
I'm also not understanding the aversion to Facebook. It's certainly not my favorite website, and can be quite annoying at times, but used properly it can give you access to large amounts of people that other advertising doesn't (and cheaper also). For a brewery in planning, I think it would be instrumental. It helps you update your "fans" on your progress, while obtaining feedback. Most people probably aren't going to log onto your web site every week to see updates, but they'll sure go on FB and see what you have to say.

And if the updates are really that annoying, just go ahead and remove them from your status feed. It's quite easy.
For the record, I think companies SHOULD have a presence on facebook.  But you still need to have a website, and you should not assume that all of the customers you are trying to attract use facebook.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Logo Feedback
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2013, 06:04:44 am »
I realize that they are a first wash, but still stand by my assertion that they are all a little to "cutesy", which would make me not recognize it as a beer company. First one is less cute of them all and I like the type treatment best and it would look good on swag and represents a good branding image, with some tightening up, if course.

The designs all have a feminine touch to them IMO, would like them to be a bit more masculine or neutral.

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2013, 06:18:07 am »
I'm also not understanding the aversion to Facebook. It's certainly not my favorite website, and can be quite annoying at times, but used properly it can give you access to large amounts of people that other advertising doesn't (and cheaper also). For a brewery in planning, I think it would be instrumental. It helps you update your "fans" on your progress, while obtaining feedback. Most people probably aren't going to log onto your web site every week to see updates, but they'll sure go on FB and see what you have to say.

And if the updates are really that annoying, just go ahead and remove them from your status feed. It's quite easy.
For the record, I think companies SHOULD have a presence on facebook.  But you still need to have a website, and you should not assume that all of the customers you are trying to attract use facebook.

This wasn't a direct reference to you; just a generalized statement regarding what I've sensed is the overall opinion of this forum. All I was trying to say was instead of people throwing up their arms and going "ahhh stupid facebooks", they should realize it's an incredibley useful tool if utilized correctly. I realize the demographic of this board... ahem, has more life experience- so I understand the viewpoint. I'm just trying to provide a bit of info, that's all.

And I completely agree about the website portion.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2013, 06:24:59 am »
I realize that they are a first wash, but still stand by my assertion that they are all a little to "cutesy", which would make me not recognize it as a beer company.

I completely agree. If you're going to have a non-relevant logo, it needs to have a good story, or be a really good logo. Left Hand is a good example of a distinct, easily-identified logo that's not brewery-related but has a story.

Apple logo has a "byte" out of it, Twitter has a little bird, etc. I could maybe see "Big Bug" being a name for an all-wild fermentation brewery. But it's kind of a terrible name and I'd change it before you sink a lot of money/effort into the brand.

I think the name of the brewery itself is a problem. It's probably the worst name I've heard for a brewery, beating out my previous worst "DC Brau Brewing Company." At least that name is relevant to the place and product, though it's also sort of gibberish.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

narvin

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2013, 09:14:12 am »
You don't like DC brau?  Different strokes, I guess, but for the first brewery in the city in over 50 yeast I think it's a pretty strong brand.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2013, 10:08:57 am »
You don't like DC brau?  Different strokes, I guess, but for the first brewery in the city in over 50 yeast I think it's a pretty strong brand.

I like the can...but it seems more like a Soviet look than anything 'Merican.  Don't know anything about the brewery; was this intentional?

narvin

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2013, 11:18:57 am »
The capitol dome looks Soviet?  I suppose the red could use some blue to go along with it.

It does have a monumental looks, which I'm sure is intentional.  DC is a government city, and I guess these days anything involving government has become looked at as (gasp) communism.

narvin

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2013, 11:20:28 am »
Back to the original topic, if you're going to call it "Big Bug", the bug had better be big.  Like this guy:

http://www.bigbluebug.com/
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 11:22:02 am by narvin »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Logo Feedback
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2013, 11:49:23 am »
The capitol dome looks Soviet?  I suppose the red could use some blue to go along with it.

It does have a monumental looks, which I'm sure is intentional.  DC is a government city, and I guess these days anything involving government has become looked at as (gasp) communism.

Totally a Soviet Propaganda type. Weird choice for a DC brewery.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2013, 12:59:55 pm »
"DC Brau Brewring Company" is kind of hard to say, kind of gibberish, a mix of two languages, and includes an abbreviation. I don't know anything about their beer, but I hate the name.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

narvin

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2013, 01:22:58 pm »

Totally a Soviet Propaganda type. Weird choice for a DC brewery.

Well, I think it's definitely meant to be subversive.   :D

Offline peteck727

• 1st Kit
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2013, 03:08:12 pm »
I realize that they are a first wash, but still stand by my assertion that they are all a little to "cutesy", which would make me not recognize it as a beer company.

I completely agree. If you're going to have a non-relevant logo, it needs to have a good story, or be a really good logo. Left Hand is a good example of a distinct, easily-identified logo that's not brewery-related but has a story.

Apple logo has a "byte" out of it, Twitter has a little bird, etc. I could maybe see "Big Bug" being a name for an all-wild fermentation brewery. But it's kind of a terrible name and I'd change it before you sink a lot of money/effort into the brand.

I think the name of the brewery itself is a problem. It's probably the worst name I've heard for a brewery, beating out my previous worst "DC Brau Brewing Company." At least that name is relevant to the place and product, though it's also sort of gibberish.

Man its hard to keep a group of brewers/drinkers focused haha

Anyhow,
The full story of the "BigBug" name can be found in this blogpost on our website http://www.bigbugbrewing.com/blog/what%E2%80%99sinaname

Our name is meaningful and has a great back story / metaphor which jives nicely with the current craft beer culture. It's about doing what you want, being true to yourself, and not letting people discourage you from living your life by your own rules. We will follow this philosophy when brewing our beers and I believe that people will appreciate our individuality, and enjoy the unique flavors and atmosphere we will provide. While the name may not scream beer in the traditional sense I think that it will set us apart from the crowd. I don't believe that logo's or names need to incorporate the product as long as the story is good and the brand is strong.

Cheers!
Pete

ps lets get this thread back on track and talk about logo feedback please!! ;) 

Offline SecondRow_Sean

• Assistant Brewer
  • North of the Wall, NY
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2013, 04:00:52 pm »
I read through the history, and I gotta say- I don't follow it. I think it's entirely too wordy and needs a grammar edit. The second sentence in the first true paragraph has so many semi-colons, I had to re-read it 4 times to understand it. It also comes across as condescending and a big inside joke.

More importantly, I don't see the connection to brewing. The only loose connection I see is that you used to go to college with some dude who likes beer and giving himself a nickname. It doesn't intrigue or interest me. I thought maybe you'd have a story about a homebrew batch that a bug wound up in the fermenter and it still turned out great and inspired you or something.

Not trying to bash you, just wanted to provide my honest opinion. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2013, 04:43:26 pm »
I read through the history, and I gotta say- I don't follow it. I think it's entirely too wordy and needs a grammar edit. The second sentence in the first true paragraph has so many semi-colons, I had to re-read it 4 times to understand it. It also comes across as condescending and a big inside joke.

More importantly, I don't see the connection to brewing. The only loose connection I see is that you used to go to college with some dude who likes beer and giving himself a nickname. It doesn't intrigue or interest me. I thought maybe you'd have a story about a homebrew batch that a bug wound up in the fermenter and it still turned out great and inspired you or something.

Not trying to bash you, just wanted to provide my honest opinion. 
+1.  Not the most magnetic name, logo, story.  Having said that, I think the quality of a beer (or lack of) speaks loudly. There is so much word of mouth among beer geeks on the net these days that a great beer ( or piss poor one) will stand on its merits, good or otherwise.
Jon H.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2013, 08:19:09 pm »
I do not know.

It is hard to make bad beer these days. There is a lot of info out there. It is not mystery any more.
So solid beers are one of requirements but you need to give your consumer a message why they should buy your beer.

Your name and logo should project what you are all about.
What you can tell me about this one:
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com