Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: New Beersmith app for phones & tablets  (Read 11132 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: New Beersmith app for phones & tablets
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 10:56:21 am »
Why is that? No Wifi?

I'm asking b/c the cloud makes that recipe sharing access easier since it deals with the sync issues. With all the excitement about the cloud, it seems that software developers may not be interested in much off-line support.

Kai

Yep.  I brew in a detached garage and it's to far from the house to get a wifi connection.  I have the same issue with a lot of other software.  My internet connection is even too slow to stream video to my TV.  There are 2 sides to living in the middle of nowhere!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 11:48:18 am »
I just looked up the cloud prices. There's no way I'll be upgrading anytime soon. I can't justify spending $28 for beersmith2, paying about $2-3 a month for cloud then paying $4 for the app for my android. I highly doubt it will make my beer any better and I've never been in a situation where I absolutely needed a recipe I made last month.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 01:47:41 pm »
I just looked up the cloud prices. There's no way I'll be upgrading anytime soon. I can't justify spending $28 for beersmith2, paying about $2-3 a month for cloud then paying $4 for the app for my android. I highly doubt it will make my beer any better and I've never been in a situation where I absolutely needed a recipe I made last month.

Agreed... and if you do find yourself in that situation, it's much easier to put your Beersmith directory into your free Dropbox folder, then open it with the free BrewAide app.

Honestly, I'd have no problem with the $4 app if it could just read the recipe folders from Dropbox like BrewAide does.

Offline mors

• 1st Kit
Re: Re: New Beersmith app for phones & tablets
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 04:02:07 pm »

Agreed... and if you do find yourself in that situation, it's much easier to put your Beersmith directory into your free Dropbox folder, then open it with the free BrewAide app.

Honestly, I'd have no problem with the $4 app if it could just read the recipe folders from Dropbox like BrewAide does.
+9999 to this

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 12:17:09 am »
My wifi is intermittent when I'm brewing, I'm too far from the wireless modem.  I'm not interested in cloud based "solutions".
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 07:00:49 am »
I was excited for this release. But the app won't open bsmx files. It only gets it's recipes from the cloud... Looks a bit greedy as well. Pay for the computer software. Pay for upgraded space on the cloud. Pay $4 to pull that data from the cloud and read it on your phone...
Cloud space is free for the first 10 recipes. Can't say I think 'greedy' is the right word for someone who's made a product to make your hobby easier. Cloud space and programming both cost Brad time and money.

Currently Brewaide is the only app I've found to open bsmx files. The interface isn't the best...
But it was free, so there you go.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 07:09:49 am »

There is a 'full mobile app' coming out later, which might have more functionality. Also, you can save your 10 free cloud recipes directly on your phone. Then you can delete them from the cloud, upload 10 more, rinse and repeat.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 11:24:08 am »

There is a 'full mobile app' coming out later, which might have more functionality. Also, you can save your 10 free cloud recipes directly on your phone. Then you can delete them from the cloud, upload 10 more, rinse and repeat.

Without being able to read all my recipe and inventory files from a service like Dropbox, a 'full mobile app' won't offer any of the extra functionality I'd be looking for (creating a shopping list when I'm standing in the homebrew shop would be awesome, for example).  I am happy to just read all of my recipe file from Dropbox now with the "other free app" rather than paying for an app that makes me guess which 10 recipes I need to keep in the BeerSmith cloud.

I understand why he did it the way he did.  It's another revenue stream for him when people want to store more than 10 recipes.  I'm a software guy, so I get the business side of his decision.  Software as a service is more lucrative than one-time software purchases, and the industry is heading that way whether I like it or not.  Unfortunately, it's not the best solution for me as a consumer.

All that said, I love the full BeerSmith application.  I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with the mobile app and the cloud in the future.  At some point, it may make sense to me.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2012, 07:13:42 pm »
Did somebody said ProMash?
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
New Beersmith app for phones & tablets
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2012, 07:34:17 pm »
Did somebody said ProMash?

Allow me.....

PROMASH!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 01:54:55 pm »
Why is that? No Wifi?

I'm asking b/c the cloud makes that recipe sharing access easier since it deals with the sync issues. With all the excitement about the cloud, it seems that software developers may not be interested in much off-line support.

Kai

Denny's brewing software runs on an abacus.  ;)

Yep.  I brew in a detached garage and it's to far from the house to get a wifi connection.  I have the same issue with a lot of other software.  My internet connection is even too slow to stream video to my TV.  There are 2 sides to living in the middle of nowhere!
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline mattcrecelius@gmail.com

• 1st Kit
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2013, 03:26:30 pm »
It's almost ready and it's really nice being able to create and edit recipes on your phone/tablet

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2