Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: March Pump Heads  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
  • Currently upgrading to Brewery 3.0
March Pump Heads
« on: April 24, 2013, 10:47:45 am »
I was wondering which Style of Pump Head i should be getting and why.  There seem to be multiple types.  I have been looking at a pump with the inlet being centermounted and the outlet being on the top.  I have also seen outlefts on the left and inlets ont he right of the head orientation.  Is one prefered over the other, and why is it prefered?
thanks
Jeff
Granite Coast Brewing Company.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: March Pump Heads
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 10:55:00 am »
I was wondering which Style of Pump Head i should be getting and why.  There seem to be multiple types.  I have been looking at a pump with the inlet being centermounted and the outlet being on the top.  I have also seen outlefts on the left and inlets ont he right of the head orientation.  Is one prefered over the other, and why is it prefered?
thanks
Jeff

The ones with the side (as opposed to center) connections can be rotated.  Theoretically, you want the inlet at the bottom and the outlet at the top so that air bubbles flow up and out, making it easier to prime.  I haven't used a center inlet model, so no comment there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 10:59:34 am »
Since you are talking me into a pump can you recommend one or two?

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 11:01:09 am »
Since you are talking me into a pump can you recommend one or two?

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

AFAIAC, the gold standard is the March 809 HS.  Although there's another version with a larger impeller that's probably even better.  I intend to upgrade the impeller in my 809.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 11:05:22 am »
Ive been reading that the Centerline pump is more desirable because the pumphead will drain 100% of the way when the centerline inlet is pointed down. 

http://www.amazon.com/March-High-Temperature-Pump-Brewing/dp/B002O47P26/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Is the pump i bought, but the pictures where rather misleading.  i also need to figure out a reducer for the 3/4 MPT down to 1/2 FPT, which is the standard for all my fittings etc.  we have only allgrained once thus far, but man was it a choir.  lifting 10 gallons of scalding liquid is dangerous.
Building a clone of The Electric Brewery to use as a pilot system for new recipes!

Offline michaeltrego

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 11:58:21 am »
AFAIAC, the gold standard is the March 809 HS.  Although there's another version with a larger impeller that's probably even better.  I intend to upgrade the impeller in my 809.

The March 809 impeller upgrade to the 815 makes a huge difference in priming and volume flow.  Worth every penny.  Here is where I found it:  http://www.tescopumps.com/servlet/the-582/0809-dsh-0027-dsh-1000-0809-dsh-0107-dsh-0200-0809-dsh-0043-dsh-1000/Detail

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 12:43:13 pm »
Ive done a little research at this point. The pros to the centerline model are as follows.

1. No potential for stagnant water in head, so no mold growth
2. higher Gallons Per Minute
3. Will pump liquid higher then the noncenterline model.
4. it comes with a mounting brackets already attached, whereas the other does not(unconfirmed)
Apparently i bought a much better pump.  the 3/4" MPT fitting was a putoff, then i found this. http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/FPT-X-FPT-150-304-Threaded-Reducing-Coupling_p_117.html

a 3 dollar part will fix my issues with this pump ;D

narvin

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 02:11:05 pm »
They all come with mounting brackets.  I doubt you will get the higher flow rate if you're restricting the input to 1/2".  Also, according to this http://www.marchpump.com/beerpump/ you'll get the highest head from the 815 (larger impeller).  If you can swap out the 809C impeller with this one like you can with the regular 809, I definitely would.  It helps a lot with cavitation problems like others have mentioned.

I don't know how you'd get stagnant water in either pump if you mount them with the input on the bottom.  You can also mount both horizontally as long as the bracket is on the bottom, which is more convenient for me, and I haven't had any problems with leftover water after cleaning.

Offline Jeff M

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 02:22:51 pm »
Yeah, im not to worried abotu the flow rate.  ill take smaller GPM rather then have 2 different sets of hoses etc.:D