General Category > Equipment and Software

March Pump Heads

(1/2) > >>

Jeff M:
I was wondering which Style of Pump Head i should be getting and why.  There seem to be multiple types.  I have been looking at a pump with the inlet being centermounted and the outlet being on the top.  I have also seen outlefts on the left and inlets ont he right of the head orientation.  Is one prefered over the other, and why is it prefered?
thanks
Jeff

denny:

--- Quote from: fejjgw on April 24, 2013, 09:47:45 AM ---I was wondering which Style of Pump Head i should be getting and why.  There seem to be multiple types.  I have been looking at a pump with the inlet being centermounted and the outlet being on the top.  I have also seen outlefts on the left and inlets ont he right of the head orientation.  Is one prefered over the other, and why is it prefered?
thanks
Jeff

--- End quote ---

The ones with the side (as opposed to center) connections can be rotated.  Theoretically, you want the inlet at the bottom and the outlet at the top so that air bubbles flow up and out, making it easier to prime.  I haven't used a center inlet model, so no comment there.

klickitat jim:
Since you are talking me into a pump can you recommend one or two?

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

denny:

--- Quote from: klickitat jim on April 24, 2013, 09:59:34 AM ---Since you are talking me into a pump can you recommend one or two?

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

--- End quote ---

AFAIAC, the gold standard is the March 809 HS.  Although there's another version with a larger impeller that's probably even better.  I intend to upgrade the impeller in my 809.

Jeff M:
Ive been reading that the Centerline pump is more desirable because the pumphead will drain 100% of the way when the centerline inlet is pointed down. 

http://www.amazon.com/March-High-Temperature-Pump-Brewing/dp/B002O47P26/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Is the pump i bought, but the pictures where rather misleading.  i also need to figure out a reducer for the 3/4 MPT down to 1/2 FPT, which is the standard for all my fittings etc.  we have only allgrained once thus far, but man was it a choir.  lifting 10 gallons of scalding liquid is dangerous.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version