General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

Extract Mint Stout

(1/4) > >>

anapsid:
Ok, So I have brewed for my 7th time.  So far I have only used extracts with some grain in the beginning for flavor.  I am making sure I have the basics down before I upgrade to all grain, but anyway onto the problem:

I decided to test my luck at adding mint to stout.  My desire was to come up with a warm weather stout where the mint would be present just enough for an aftertaste to effectively act as a palate cleanser.  Anyway I made the stout with:
 3.3 lbs of LME
 about 1/4 lb of roasted barely
3 lbs Dark DME
1 oz of cascade hops (boiled for 45 minutes)
1/2 oz of Willamette hops (boiled 10 minutes)
1 pouch of liqued red ale yeast

after fermenting for 1 week I racked the beer for 2 weeks.  Once this passed I bottled with 3/4 cup of corn sugar to carbonate, and added at very end 1/2 oz of mint extract. 

So after this was all done I have a beer as carbonated as pepsi, with the same amount of head.....what did I do? (no detergents were used in the cleansing of items, I used a cleaner/sanatizer from my local brew shop and I rinsed everything after the soak).

klickitat jim:
Check sugar content of mint. Also, what was final gravity?

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

anapsid:
Not sure about the sugar on the mint, because its not listed.  It only lists 89% alcohol, as for the gravity, it was 1.012

klickitat jim:
I always weight my primer. The weight of volume can vary too much. I also wonder where the beer wanted to finish. Was it 1.012 for a few days?

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

anapsid:
yea, because I checked then had to wait a few days before I had the time to bottle, and I double checked.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version