Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I am dreaming of a hoppy white wheat beer  (Read 6167 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
I am dreaming of a hoppy white wheat beer
« on: April 24, 2013, 11:56:33 pm »
How does this look?
6lbs Rahr 2 Row
3lbs white wheat
1/4 oz Columbus 14.5% AA for 60 minutes
3/4oz Columbus 15 minutes
1oz Simcoe 15 minutes
1oz Columbus 10 minutes
1oz Simcoe 10 minutes
1oz Columbus 5 minutes
1oz Simcoe 5 minutes
BRY-97 yeast
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: I am dreaming of a hoppy white wheat beer
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 12:04:08 am »
Looks like it would be hopping.  I'd think about moving the 60 to FWH and the 5 to dry hop

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 12:06:11 am by klickitat jim »

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 12:09:06 am »
I usually do like to FWH but with a beer this light I plan on doing at least a 75 minute boil to avoid DMS. I think that would be too long. The dry hop idea is intriguing. Though I may just do that with a couple more ounces of Columbus.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 06:05:56 am »
You don't have any pilsner malt in there, so DMS shouldn't be a concern.
Mark Gres

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 07:25:34 am »
75 minutes isn't too long for FWH.  However, to my taste, beers that are made with all late hope/FWH additions seem to lack some hop bitterness backbone.  Even if you're not going for a bitter beer I'd recommend leaving the 60 minute addition.  You could also FWH if you wanted to but do it by moving some of the flavor additions back to FWH additions.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 08:30:27 am »

I thought DMS was a problem with any lighter malt. I would prefer not to waste the time or the propane if I don't have to.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 09:22:03 am »
After doing something very similar, I would be careful to not overhop this one. My grain bill was 5# Vienna and 5# White Wheat with Columbus hopped throughout. I only use 1/4 oz of Columbus for bittering as well with a total of 3 oz for the whole batch including 1 oz for dry hopping.

After 3 weeks, it is barely drinkable but I am hoping it will mellow with time. I was going for something between an american wheat beer and an APA but it turned out like an extremely bitter IPA from a hops standpoint. It is called "hoppy b****" at this point.

I would recommend adding 5-10% carapils or something to help balance the beer out. This is all based on my recent experience so take it for what it is. I found it more difficult than I thought it would be to create what I was going for due to such a light bodied delicate base.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:47:36 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
Re: Re: I am dreaming of a hoppy white wheat beer
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 09:50:50 am »

I thought DMS was a problem with any lighter malt. I would prefer not to waste the time or the propane if I don't have to.
The DMS precursors are much higher in pilsner malt due to the malting/kilning process (lower temps), thus the need for the longer boil to drive them off. 2-row pale malt still has some of the precursors, but at much lower levels, so you can get away with 60 minutes.
Mark Gres

Offline andyi

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 10:59:22 am »

There is a clone recipe in an earlier Zymurgy (4 back)  from the brewers at Deschuttes for Chainbreaker White IPA.  The best I've had.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 11:15:45 am »

There is a clone recipe in an earlier Zymurgy (4 back)  from the brewers at Deschuttes for Chainbreaker White IPA.  The best I've had.

Yeah I suppose it depends on what he is going for. I would consider "hoppy wheat" and wheat IPA different ideas especially if you are going the Chainbreaker route with a belgian yeast.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 11:52:02 am »
After doing something very similar, I would be careful to not overhop this one. My grain bill was 5# Vienna and 5# White Wheat with Columbus hopped throughout. I only use 1/4 oz of Columbus for bittering as well with a total of 3 oz for the whole batch including 1 oz for dry hopping.

After 3 weeks, it is barely drinkable but I am hoping it will mellow with time. I was going for something between an american wheat beer and an APA but it turned out like an extremely bitter IPA from a hops standpoint. It is called "hoppy b****" at this point.

I would recommend adding 5-10% carapils or something to help balance the beer out. This is all based on my recent experience so take it for what it is. I found it more difficult than I thought it would be to create what I was going for due to such a light bodied delicate base.

Sounds like I might want to just use my usual IPA grain bill if I want to experiment with this hop schedule.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 12:46:27 pm »
I say do what you want to do but just be cautious. I am not very knowledgeable compared to most around here so I just speak from my recent experience.

My two recent relevant experiences
1.) All munich APA with Zythos - decent beer but hop character is completely overriddden by munich malt
2.) light bodied american wheat/APA with Columbus - just the oppossite of #1 (at this point)

I shouldn't really compare the two but have been learning a lot about how to balance the grain bill with the appropriate amount of hops. Apparently, I still have much to learn...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 12:50:17 pm by goschman »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
I am dreaming of a hoppy white wheat beer
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 01:03:06 pm »
I say do what you want to do but just be cautious. I am not very knowledgeable compared to most around here so I just speak from my recent experience.

1.) All munich APA with Zythos - decent beer but hop character is completely overriddden by munich malt
2.) light bodied american wheat/APA with Columbus - just the oppossite of #1 (at this point)

I shouldn't really compare the two but have been learning a lot about how to balance the grain bill with the appropriate amount of hops. Apparently, I still have much to learn...

Then you didn't use enough hops!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 01:18:54 pm »

Then you didn't use enough hops!

Yep that was my point. Not enough hops in my all munich beer and too much hops in my wheat.

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 04:16:37 pm »
How about a white wheat single hopped with 3oz of Simcoe?
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS