General Category > Beer Recipes

I am dreaming of a hoppy white wheat beer

<< < (2/4) > >>

gymrat:

--- Quote from: Mark G on April 25, 2013, 05:05:56 AM ---You don't have any pilsner malt in there, so DMS shouldn't be a concern.

--- End quote ---

I thought DMS was a problem with any lighter malt. I would prefer not to waste the time or the propane if I don't have to.

goschman:
After doing something very similar, I would be careful to not overhop this one. My grain bill was 5# Vienna and 5# White Wheat with Columbus hopped throughout. I only use 1/4 oz of Columbus for bittering as well with a total of 3 oz for the whole batch including 1 oz for dry hopping.

After 3 weeks, it is barely drinkable but I am hoping it will mellow with time. I was going for something between an american wheat beer and an APA but it turned out like an extremely bitter IPA from a hops standpoint. It is called "hoppy b****" at this point.

I would recommend adding 5-10% carapils or something to help balance the beer out. This is all based on my recent experience so take it for what it is. I found it more difficult than I thought it would be to create what I was going for due to such a light bodied delicate base.

Mark G:

--- Quote from: gymrat on April 25, 2013, 07:30:27 AM ---
--- Quote from: Mark G on April 25, 2013, 05:05:56 AM ---You don't have any pilsner malt in there, so DMS shouldn't be a concern.

--- End quote ---

I thought DMS was a problem with any lighter malt. I would prefer not to waste the time or the propane if I don't have to.

--- End quote ---
The DMS precursors are much higher in pilsner malt due to the malting/kilning process (lower temps), thus the need for the longer boil to drive them off. 2-row pale malt still has some of the precursors, but at much lower levels, so you can get away with 60 minutes.

andyi:

There is a clone recipe in an earlier Zymurgy (4 back)  from the brewers at Deschuttes for Chainbreaker White IPA.  The best I've had.

goschman:

--- Quote from: andyi on April 25, 2013, 09:59:22 AM ---
There is a clone recipe in an earlier Zymurgy (4 back)  from the brewers at Deschuttes for Chainbreaker White IPA.  The best I've had.

--- End quote ---

Yeah I suppose it depends on what he is going for. I would consider "hoppy wheat" and wheat IPA different ideas especially if you are going the Chainbreaker route with a belgian yeast.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version