Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Online stores  (Read 3036 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Online stores
« on: April 24, 2013, 05:51:49 pm »
Would anyone chime in for this new brewer and list some of the available online stores for recipes? I have only seen about 4 online from searches. Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Re: Online stores
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 06:35:56 pm »
In my opinion Northernbrewer.com has the best recipe kits. But I like midwestsupplies.com for everything else.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 06:40:27 pm »
+1 on Northernbrewer.  They have good recipe kits and they list the recipes.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 06:45:58 pm »
I really like Midwest Brewing Supplies, Farmhouse Brewing Supply, and Yakima Valley Hops.

Lots of good ones out there. Hope that helps!
Kyle M.

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
Online stores
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 06:50:38 pm »
I've used Northernbrewer, Morebeer, and Midwest all with great success.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 07:14:44 am »
Austin Homebrew Supply and Northern Brewer are my top choices. AHS has a huge selection of commercial clone kits that are a great place to start for a beginner (some are closer than others - be sure to read the reviews). They also have flat rate shipping, which generally means they are one of the cheaper options. NB has the biggest selection out there and their prices are generally pretty competitive, even since they stopped offering flat rate shipping.

Midwest Supplies is another excellent online shop. Prices are decent and selection is good. I also use Rebel Brewer as well. I find that they are my best bet if I'm looking for a specific grain. Rebel generally lists the exact maltster, while a lot of the other shops will only list the country for certain grains. That's good info if that is important to you.

If you're a big hophead I recommend freshops and Hops Direct if you want to buy in bulk. I also recommend Yakima Valley Hops and Farmhouse Brewing Supply for hard-to-find hop varieties in more reasonable quantities.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 07:19:44 am »
Great info! I'm a fan of supporting local brick and mortar but internet shops for unavailable stuff is great

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 07:57:18 am »
Great info! I'm a fan of supporting local brick and mortar but internet shops for unavailable stuff is great

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"
+1.  I'm a big believer in supporting your LHBS, assuming you have one close and it's a good one. I'm lucky to have an excellent one in Indy.  If they don't have what I need, I use Northern Brewer, Midwest Supplies, or Yakima Valley Hops.

Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 09:10:44 am »
I'll put in my obligatory plug for 7 Bridges which is the only mostly organic store I have found. Rebel brewer and Northern Brewer and Morebeer occasionally will have some organic ingredients but 7 bridges has a great selection all the time!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 11:14:24 am »
I'll put in my obligatory plug for 7 Bridges which is the only mostly organic store I have found. Rebel brewer and Northern Brewer and Morebeer occasionally will have some organic ingredients but 7 bridges has a great selection all the time!

I always say that I need to check them out whenever I see an ad for them, and never remember when it comes time to place an order. Thanks for putting the bug back in my ear.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 02:53:46 pm »
Its my LHBS, but www.xtremebrewing.com has kits for the recipes in Sam Calagione's book Extreme Brewing. The shop is run by a local guy who helped Sam get started.

- Sent by my R2 unit

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 03:06:40 pm »

As we've started selling our beer to a little deli that specializes in organic food.  I offered the owner to brew an organic version of our Amber.  I intended to buy such from 7 Bridges.  The owner said that they have had organic beer in the past, and nobody liked it, especially given the price premium for such. 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 03:12:24 pm »

As we've started selling our beer to a little deli that specializes in organic food.  I offered the owner to brew an organic version of our Amber.  I intended to buy such from 7 Bridges.  The owner said that they have had organic beer in the past, and nobody liked it, especially given the price premium for such.

I have noticed and heard from producers of both beer and wine that even if you brew/vint with organic ingredients you sometimes are better off leaving that info off the label because people still have an attitude about organic wine and beer that if it were really good they wouldn't need to advertise. meh. I have not noticed a difference in ingredient quality.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 06:46:26 pm »
I started with Northern Brewer for my first extract kits. They are packed very well with very nice instructions. I have ordered some all grain IPA kits from NB, but wasn't as pleased with them. I feel that Austin Homebrew has the superior all grain kits...The flat rate shipping is nice too. As previously posted, they have a ton of commercial clones. I ordered a handful of them late last summer. I think I got the Sam Adams Octoberfest, Breckenridge Christmas, Anchor Christmas (I think it was vintage 1998), and the two White House beers....the two White House beers were, meh. I live in Ohio, so I wouldn't recommend ordering liquid yeast from the heart of Texas now that the weather is heating up.
Frank