Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing This Weekend - 4/28 Edition  (Read 5314 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
What's Brewing This Weekend - 4/28 Edition
« on: April 25, 2013, 11:26:40 am »
whatcha'll got going on this weekend?  I'm brewing a dopplebock (1.080) and a black IPA (1.082) - never made either style before, looking forward to it.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HobsonDrake

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beaverton, OR
    • Brew Batch List
Re: What's Brewing This Weekend - 4/28 Edition
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 11:57:01 am »
I am going to try my hand at a Guinness clone. I have been wanting to do this for a long time. It will only be a half batch so I can tweek and try again. Hope to capture what I remember drinking when I was in London.
I also will be doing my old favorite Plain Pale Ale. Never tried to do two brews in the same day.
Check out my brew history and recipes at http://www.hobsondrake.com/BrewList.html

John D.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 12:38:02 pm »
It's my birthday Saturday so I'm taking a break from doing anything other than hanging out with people, eating and drinking.

I have a couple brett strains I need to grow up for some experimental brewing but it can wait until next week. I'm also running out of fermenting space. I have a doppelbock in the kitchen fridge and an American wheat in the fermentation fridge. A RIS is going on the cake from the wheat, so that will take up another couple weeks in the fermentation fridge and then I need to lager in the fermentation fridge for at least a couple weeks. Then it's on to all my summer brewing...
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 12:46:27 pm »
Gonna make a starter for next weekends kolsch. and continue quality control on the last batch of course, can't let QC slip man. Let that go and it's all down hill.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 12:48:53 pm »
Gonna try my first Saison tomorrow with WY3711 and mostly American hops.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 12:49:46 pm »
Nothing this week.  Mostly yard work.  Did a Dortmunder and a Saison with WLP670 last weekend.  They are happily burbling away at this time.  Kegged my Flanders red last night.  This one is going to the SA Longshot comp.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 01:55:05 pm »
No brewing this weekend.  I have to get a starter going for next weeks Big Brew.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 06:45:15 pm »
Doing an IPA this weekend both to have on tap for my Memorial Day party and as a trial run for a club competition later this year. 

It'll also be the first live trial run of my new keggle with false bottom as the boil kettle.  Hopefully it won't either scorch the work or explode.  If neither of those things happen I'm pretty hopeful that it'll be a nice way to use whole hops, and a lot of them, in the boil without a bag.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 07:12:46 pm »
I'm finally going to be able to get the garden started this weekend, so brewing will be taking a back seat for a while. Thankfully I have a huge backlog of beer from the past few months of brewing.

I did finally pull a 2 ounce sample of my Blackberry Melomel from last summer and dialed in the exact amount of backsweetening needed, so I'll be doctoring up the rest of the batch some time this weekend,
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 07:41:57 pm »
Going to brew a Grodziskie. Finally got some Lublin hops to throw in this one, which I am looking forward to. Might also brew a Belgian Single, with Caliente hops and the Unibroue strain.

Kyle M.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 07:45:52 pm »
Hopefully I can brew a Saison this weekend, time in between the kids' sporting events permitting.  My favorite brewed Saison used 3724, but only finished @ 1.009, even with a low mash and high fermentation temp, and big starter.   I've used 3711 and got it down to 1.002 -  liked it alot but not as much as DuPont's flavor.  So I'm gonna blend, in my own way. Gonna go hot with 3724 for 7 - 10 days, then add a little 3711 to go crazy and finish. Hopefully I'll get most of the profile of DuPont, and let the 3711 eat until happy.  Sounds fun anyway !
Jon H.

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 07:53:41 pm »
hoping i'll get a 3g biab stove top batch of pale ale with mosaic done.
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
Re: Re: What's Brewing This Weekend - 4/28 Edition
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 08:30:38 pm »
Hopefully I can brew a Saison this weekend, time in between the kids' sporting events permitting.  My favorite brewed Saison used 3724, but only finished @ 1.009, even with a low mash and high fermentation temp, and big starter.   I've used 3711 and got it down to 1.002 -  liked it alot but not as much as DuPont's flavor.  So I'm gonna blend, in my own way. Gonna go hot with 3724 for 7 - 10 days, then add a little 3711 to go crazy and finish. Hopefully I'll get most of the profile of DuPont, and let the 3711 eat until happy.  Sounds fun anyway !
Just for the record, this is an excellent strategy. It's become my SOP for Saisons lately. No brewing this weekend for me, but I will be building up some Brettanomyces to a pitchable quantity for a 100% Brett fermented Saison.
Mark Gres

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
What's Brewing This Weekend - 4/28 Edition
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 09:10:47 pm »
Nada for the next couple weekends. :0(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 09:37:30 pm »
Brewing a tripel to be soured in a barrel.  I'm going to do a double mash with the second runnings and make a Matilda clone with 100% Brett fermentation.