Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lemonade in beer  (Read 5202 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Lemonade in beer
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 11:05:10 am »
If you want full on radler experience you'll want to stop the fermentation after primary. You could use potassium sorbate and transfer the beer to secondary. Wait a few days at chilly temps and then add your lemonage.

IME drinking these concoctions in Germany, is that they are mixed on the spot - not fermented with soda or lemonade.  i was slipped one of these by accident in munich - took a huge gulp of what i thought was going to be beer, and coughed it up when the sweet taste hit me. I thought it was a joke but quickly learned about the radler...cant say i every grew to like this brewfoolery :o
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 01:01:35 pm »
This thread has me thinking of an idea I had a while back that I wanted to try. I was thinking of trying to brew a hard lemonade using DME as my sweetener. By using a yeast that doesn't attenuate very well (like a wine yeast) you could keep it from drying out completely but still be able to bottle prime. I'm curious how much lemonade character makes it into the finished beer at this ratio of lemonade to beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 01:08:21 pm »
This thread has me thinking of an idea I had a while back that I wanted to try. I was thinking of trying to brew a hard lemonade using DME as my sweetener. By using a yeast that doesn't attenuate very well (like a wine yeast) you could keep it from drying out completely but still be able to bottle prime. I'm curious how much lemonade character makes it into the finished beer at this ratio of lemonade to beer.

Do you think you'd get a low pH from the lemonade that would adversely affect the yeast?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 01:14:22 pm »
Do you think you'd get a low pH from the lemonade that would adversely affect the yeast?

Probably not. I've used wine yeasts to ferment pre-soured wort to make sour beers without issue. Wine yeast is pretty hardy.

I should add, I've made 100% fermented grapefruit juice, and it was pretty undrinkable by itself, so I wouldn't ferment 100% lemon juice. Diluted in the ~50% range the fermented grapefruit juice was pretty good.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:27:42 pm by nateo »
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 01:39:34 pm »

That is an interesting idea. 

I'm anxious to see how much comes through as well.  I like to do this every once in a while since I started brewing 10 gallon batches.  Keep one carboy true to the recipe and then experiment a little with the other. 
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee