Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I need 120L Crystal  (Read 3181 times)

Offline jdvisger123

• 1st Kit
I need 120L Crystal
« on: April 25, 2013, 03:27:48 pm »
Could I use twice as much 60L? The recipe calls for 4oz of 120L. Don't have it on hand but do have 60L. Thought?

-James-
Enjoy it, you made it!!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
I need 120L Crystal
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 03:33:12 pm »
Could I use twice as much 60L? The recipe calls for 4oz of 120L. Don't have it on hand but do have 60L. Thought?

-James-

Nope, using twice as much 60 wouldn't be anywhere near the same.  You could use the same amount of 60, but it would be a bit different beer than you intended.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: I need 120L Crystal
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 07:15:09 pm »
In a way it would be like saying that a recipe calls for a pound of toffee, don't have any so I'll use two pounds of carmel.

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 07:17:46 pm »
What you *might* be able to do is to steep some Crystal 60 in a little warm water for 20 minutes, then boil it down to a very thick, caramelized syrup, and then use that in your beer.  Not sure how close this would come to real Crystal 120, but hey, it might make for an interesting experiment.  At the very least, you'll make beer!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 05:59:47 am »
You could bake the 4oz of 60L at 350F for 30-45 minutes.  That would get you in the ballpark.....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 06:38:23 am »

-James-

This would probably get you in the same ballpark for color, but there would be big differences in flavor. If you needed to sub them out, I'd probably split the difference and go with about 6 ounces of the C-60. The darker crystal malts have a more significant flavor impact on an ounce-per-ounce basis. The actual flavor won't be the same, but I think that the flavor impact will be closer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 10:40:47 am »

-James-

This would probably get you in the same ballpark for color, but there would be big differences in flavor. If you needed to sub them out, I'd probably split the difference and go with about 6 ounces of the C-60. The darker crystal malts have a more significant flavor impact on an ounce-per-ounce basis. The actual flavor won't be the same, but I think that the flavor impact will be closer.

Indeed. C60 is more caramel whereas C120 is more raisin.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 07:26:14 pm »
Indeed. C60 is more caramel whereas C120 is more raisin.

Agreed, 120 is getting up into the Special B flavor-range.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline joe_feist

• Assistant Brewer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 10:53:26 am »
Great article in a recent Zymurgy about testing grains for color, flavor, etc at home in small batches - I think it was in pint jars. Anyway, one of the examples given for her experiments (sorry, forget her name and I don't have the magazine with me) was the crystal malts. Did a good job of demonstrating the differeneces in color and flavors of everything from L10 to Special B I believe. Again, you'd have to check the article for specifics. I'm sure this post is too late to help with the O/P's situation...but maybe next time.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain