Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Taking Newly Bottled Beer on a Plane  (Read 11562 times)

Offline arafly

• 1st Kit
Taking Newly Bottled Beer on a Plane
« on: April 26, 2013, 03:09:10 pm »
I just bottled a brown ale and would really love to take one down to my brother-in-law in Florida (I always take him Oregon beers). Obviously he would have instructions to store it until it's done. Is it okay to take still-carbonating beer on a plane or is that a bad idea?

My gut is telling me that having the beer on it's side and shaking around while it's still working might not be such a good idea, but I thought I'd see what you all think. Thanks!

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Taking Newly Bottled Beer on a Plane
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 03:10:54 pm »
I just bottled a brown ale and would really love to take one down to my brother-in-law in Florida (I always take him Oregon beers). Obviously he would have instructions to store it until it's done. Is it okay to take still-carbonating beer on a plane or is that a bad idea?

My gut is telling me that having the beer on it's side and shaking around while it's still working might not be such a good idea, but I thought I'd see what you all think. Thanks!

(I've never bottle conditioned)

But, put it in your checked luggage, and my guess is you'll be fine. 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 03:14:27 pm »
yeah it'll be fine. no worries. just give it some time to settle after the trip.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 03:53:15 pm »
If there is any chance at all of a "bottle bomb", I would not even consider it. If you don't mind possibly pissing off hundreds of co passengers and a possible very public "colonoscopy"-- go for it. 

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 03:56:43 pm »
If there is any chance at all of a "bottle bomb", I would not even consider it. If you don't mind possibly pissing off hundreds of co passengers and a possible very public "colonoscopy"-- go for it.

I dont get this post at all. It's going to be in a checked bag, well packed by somebody who's clearly packed beer in luggage before.

To the OP, it'll be fine. Just let it sit and settle afterwards. RDWHAHB

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 04:28:46 pm »
put it in a ziplock and don't worry about it
Don AHA member

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 06:41:48 pm »

I dont get this post at all. It's going to be in a checked bag, well packed by somebody who's clearly packed beer in luggage before.

To the OP, it'll be fine. Just let it sit and settle afterwards. RDWHAHB

What is not to get, the TSA doesn't like things that explode in your baggage. Of course it's being checked it has to be, but that is irrelevant. Of course he will let it sit, it isn't carbed - he just bottled it, and stated he was gonna leave directions about letting it sit. How do you know it will be well packed- but again irrelevant. A beer in the process of carbing is a risky proposition for air/mail travel, and could lead to problems for the flyer/mailer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Taking Newly Bottled Beer on a Plane
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 06:46:16 pm »
I would think that a beer in the process of carbing is less risky than one that already has pressure from carbonation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 07:24:23 pm »
Could ship it the old fashioned way if there is any doubt.

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 07:31:11 pm »
Not to worry. It's not like will it be exposed to the vacuum of space. Most aircraft keep a lower cabin pressure than where I lived in Colorado (7200'.) No bottle bombs there, and none going over 11,995' passes.

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 08:08:24 pm »
Once on the plane, no one would notice a bottle exploding in baggage.. I  don't think there is an increased risk whatsoever from flying. If it's gonna be a bottle bomb, it will happen- somewhere. I was just envisioning where the check in person puts it on an the conveyor and as it goes off-boom. Probable or even a slight chance -not hardly, impossible -no.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 08:35:50 pm »
Cheap way to get your beer on tv.

Offline arafly

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 11:53:43 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, guys. This is my first batch, so I just wanted to be sure all the jostling wouldn't screw anything up.

As far as bursting bottles go, that would be the worst place for it to happen, but assuming I did everything correctly, it shouldn't be a problem. Plus it will only be in it's first week of conditioning on the way down there.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 12:13:40 am by arafly »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 12:06:01 am »
I think there are plenty of key words in this thread to get you on a watch list, but I could be wrong. I hear Gitmo is nice this time of year LOL

Offline arafly

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 12:13:03 am »
I think there are plenty of key words in this thread to get you on a watch list, but I could be wrong. I hear Gitmo is nice this time of year LOL

I was starting to worry about that, myself...