Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: feel like a dumb a.. but did not steep grains  (Read 3194 times)

Offline koop3700

• Cellarman
  • sodus N.Y.
feel like a dumb a.. but did not steep grains
« on: April 27, 2013, 05:46:12 am »
attempted the summer ale recipe extract version from the cover page last week a recipe from the radical brewing book. wrote up and purchased ingredients found it odd no grain steeping was required. performed recipe then purchased book, that was a good idea next time read book first :o lol. but being new to brewing ah this happens.but second page of book stated to steep 1/2 pound crystal malt yeah that did not happen batch is in primary is there anything that can be done at this point? thanks and any input is appreciated.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: feel like a dumb a.. but did not steep grains
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 07:53:22 am »
You could steep the grain in about a quart of water, boil it, then add it to the fermenter. You need to be careful not to add oxygen while you do this, so you probably want to use a racking cane, or add the boiled wort to a second fermenter and rack the beer into it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 08:08:27 am »
With or without the steeping grains, you will still make beer. If your technique is solid, then the beer will be good without the crystal.
+1 to erockrph, you can do a "minibrew" and add it in. You can also add it in at bottling/kegging time.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 08:21:06 am »
I would save it for a future brew and call it being creative

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 10:27:22 am »
I'd just leave it alone at this point. It will still be beer, just a little drier finish and lighter color than the recipe called for.
Mark Gres

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 11:05:13 am »
With or without the steeping grains, you will still make beer. If your technique is solid, then the beer will be good without the crystal.
+1 to erockrph, you can do a "minibrew" and add it in. You can also add it in at bottling/kegging time.

I'd be leery of doing this at bottling. The extra sugar from the Crystal could lead to bottle bombs.
Eric B.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 11:10:14 am »

I'd be leery of doing this at bottling. The extra sugar from the Crystal could lead to bottle bombs.
If I remember correctly, there is very little fermentable sugar in crystal. If it's only half a pound, it shouldn't be a factor.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
feel like a dumb a.. but did not steep grains
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 11:23:32 am »

I wouldn't add it at bottling.  You need to let it ferment out first.  That said, I'd just skip it altogether at this point.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline koop3700

• Cellarman
  • sodus N.Y.
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 12:13:37 pm »
Thanks to all that have replied i love this place more and more every day. I will leave it out and see what happens was looking for a light summer beer for the ladies anyhow. You guys rock.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 07:38:41 pm »

If I remember correctly, there is very little fermentable sugar in crystal. If it's only half a pound, it shouldn't be a factor.

Crystal is certainly less fermentable than base malt, but it still provides a significant amount of fermentable sugar. Crystal malt is in the 32-35 PPPG range, so a half pound would add a bit over 3 gravity points to a 5-gallon batch. Even if that is only 50% fermentable (and I think that is conservative), that's the equivalent of 0.75 extra volumes of CO2. At best, that will lead to a seriously overcarbonated beer. Bottle bombs are a definite risk.
Eric B.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 09:22:48 am »

Crystal is certainly less fermentable than base malt, but it still provides a significant amount of fermentable sugar. Crystal malt is in the 32-35 PPPG range, so a half pound would add a bit over 3 gravity points to a 5-gallon batch. Even if that is only 50% fermentable (and I think that is conservative), that's the equivalent of 0.75 extra volumes of CO2. At best, that will lead to a seriously overcarbonated beer. Bottle bombs are a definite risk.
I stand corrected. This forum is one place I don't mind being proven wrong.