Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Scoresheet comment... Inappropriate?  (Read 7426 times)

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
Re: Scoresheet comment... Inappropriate?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 11:58:10 pm »
Actually Bruce, that was the reason I started this thread in the first place.  I initially wanted to send an e-mail, but I really don't want to be ungrateful for the feedback he did give.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 02:36:33 am »
It doesn't sound like you want their to be any official BJCP repercussions, but if you are concerned about anonymity you can PM me the email address and I will send a note for you.  Something to the effect of "the entrant is grateful for your feedback but felt this comment detracted rather than added anything to the score sheet."  Not that I'm trying to stick my nose in, just trying to help, you can easily find someone else to do the same or set up your own free email to do it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 10:18:40 am »
Were the other comments of good quality? It's definately an odd comments because the scoring and commenting are about that one entry. It is not comparative with the other entries. There is no curve or anything. Comments are supposed to stick to characteristics of the beer.
That said - judging is a long day drinking and analyzing beer after beer. Not every scoresheet and comment is going to be perfectly executed.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 11:13:29 am »
The comment is redundant but I can't see how it's all that offensive.  I just finished up a weekend of judging and there were times where I admit, I just didn't know what to say.  If it had said "worst beer on the table", I could see you getting upset but the comment, although not terribly helpful was true and I don't think it would have been meant as a negative, more of a general comment as to why it didn't move forward which as I said was redundant and unnecessary but personally, I'd just ignore it and move on with your 44 beer (congrats by the way).

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 12:13:02 pm »
If I were the judge, I wouldn't want to defend that one, but as the perspective of a new judge, I had a really hard time trying to say specific things about each entry that were unique and thoughtful.  This ability diminished as I progressed through the flight.....worse at beer 9 (eisbock) after 4 dopplebocks, 3 standard bocks, and a couple of Maibocks.... yikes.

Certainly, the filter comes down a notch or two when you've been tasting since 9am on your third day of judging.  It is no excuse to be rude, however.  Hopefully, you can take those comments and reference what the other judge was saying and get something useful out of it.

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

kev

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 12:26:16 pm »
I could see this comment being more appropriate on a higher scoring beer (high 30's+ for example) - acknowledging that "yes, this was a good beer - which is why it scored "x", but there were still better beers on the table, and that is why it did not place." 

However, within the context of the score it got - yeah, kind of obvious.  Not the worst thing I have ever seen and I see it more as unfortunate choice of words/phrases.  Does not look intentionally harsh or mean spirited.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 07:32:30 am »
I'll often pen the words, "lacking complexity" and plan to continue to do so when the brew lacks complexity ;)

The only thing I see wrong is the last 4 words, and there is plenty wrong with them.
Better Beers on table

I don't like judges who compare beers to other beers in the flight. That is not their job until the end of the flight. Each beer should be judged individually. It's not useful to compare an entrants beer to something they will never see nor taste.

Useful would have been a comment to the effect, "To better emulate style and improve your score..." and then tell them what it takes to get full credit.

I'd suggest you contact the judge and feel free to copy my comments above. They may write back to pound sand, or they may welcome the feedback and the chance to improve.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline bwana

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 08:00:23 am »
Judges do not score IPA's well that are not expreme. If your near the bottom of IBU's and did not dry hop with 6 oz It cant be an IPA right?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 08:50:19 am »
I've been following this thread. I'm a brew rookie, never competed, never judged. I think however that it all needs to be taken in stride. Its a cool thing but obviously far from perfect. If I ever I submit one for judging it would be purely for entertainment and I would take any outcome with a grain of salt. Unless of course I placed, then I would buy a bigger hat, quit my day job and go pro immediately

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 09:19:36 am »
man.... what the PC movement has done to folks...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 09:21:24 am »

you really like macs huh?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 10:13:47 pm »
Please don't misunderstand, I'm definitely not crying about negative feedback.  I've entered a lot of competitions and have scored as low as a 14!  Negative comments don't bother me at all (if they did, I wouldn't enter comps), I was just getting opinions regarding comments that are not helpful.  Tom, I do appreciate your offer, and I might take you up on it.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Scoresheet comment... Inappropriate?
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 07:41:01 am »

Your reaaaalllly reaching for that one. Streeeetttch!!!

Offline joe_feist

• Assistant Brewer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2013, 10:32:04 am »
This has been a great thread for me to read through. I've been brewing for quite awhile, but only recently joined a club. Recently had the opportunity to help judge. I made sure I was paired with someone experienced and learned a lot. It's still very new to me and really, during the judging event I just didn't always know what to say that might add value value to the process. Reading all these various opinions about what helps and doesn't help the brewer/entrant puts things in perspective.

How do folks typically feel about comments regarding the brewing process (making comments on the score sheets?). I may not know specifically how a beer was brewed, but there are generally accepted ideas regarding late hop additions impact on hop aroma/flavor for IPA's, fer example...
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2013, 10:51:03 am »
AFAIAC, unless the entrant specifically tells you about the brewing process or ingredients, comments about either are inappropriate.  You could say something like "Hop aroma is lacking" but saying "use late addition hops" doesn't cut it becasue for all you know, they did.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell