Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Finishing hops question  (Read 4151 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Finishing hops question
« on: April 28, 2013, 06:19:12 am »
So I received a very straightforward recipe kit with my first beer brewing kit from NB (American wheat ale extract). Waiting for my burner I've ordered and received a second recipe kit, one that is more up my alley as far as styles go (Furious IPA extract from Midwest). It seem pretty simply with the addition of steeping grains and doing a finishing hops.
My question is around the finishing hops. I wasn't planning on using a secondary (lazy, change of containmation, etc.) so will my beer suffer because of this if I only do primary? And what would you recommend as best practices to follow the below instructions only using primary? Thanks!

"After 5-7 days of fermentation, add 1 oz. Ahtanum, 1 oz Amarillo and 1 oz. Simcoe Leaf hops. You can add the hops directly to the sanitized secondary fermenter and rack on top of the hops – you’ll get more from the hops this way. If you are using a single stage fermenting system, then leave the beer in the fermenter for two weeks total and carefully add the hops to the primary fermenter. Allow this to age for 7-10 days. Optionally, you can use a spare fine nylon bag to hold the dry hops, but this is not required."

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Finishing hops question
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 06:42:31 am »
For those beers there is so little gain from secondary that its not worth it. No your beer won't suffer.

I would add the finishing aroma hops to the fermentor after the krausen falls. Usually after a week or two. Let them do there thing until the beer is all done.

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 06:44:43 am »
beer will not suffer with no secondary. I used secondary for my first few batches but plenty of discussion here turned me away from them.

just toss the hops into the fermenter. you can take a hydrometer reading to see when beer is finished and add dry hops then. I usually wait 2 weeks from pitching and dry hop for 1 week.
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 06:47:29 am »
After fermentation does the risk of contamination go away? Will I need to sanitize any of the hop packages, etc?

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 06:49:52 am »
no. contamination will still be an issue. when i used hops bags i would sanitize them. but now i just open them and pour them directly into the finished beer.
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 07:04:52 am »
Yup same here.

Its believed that the acid in hops prevent infection. Whatever it is scientifically, dry hopping doesn't infect.

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 07:07:34 am by klickitat jim »

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 08:57:16 am »
It looks like your kit has leaf hops. I'd recommend using a mesh bag for them to help prevent your siphon from plugging up. I've had this happen and can be a pain. Just sanitize the bag before adding the hops. I'd also just do this in the primary as others have advised.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 09:04:09 am »
Back when I started brewing, using a secondary was recommended as the SOP. Today, unless you are doing:      1/   A very high gravity beer ( Barleywine, Quad, RIS,etc.) that needs to age for a few months,
                    and leaving it on the yeast cake could eventually have negative effects, namely yeast   
                    autolysis.
                                        OR
                2/  A beer like a fruit beer where you rack into a secondary to add fruit,

Don't bother with a secondary.  There is little to gain, and you run the risk of contamination and certainly oxidation of the beer. So, leave it in the primary until fermentaion has stopped (verify this by checking for consistent htdrometer readings over 2-3 days), and package.  When I make a high gravity beer that needs to age, I keg it after fermentation and leave it in the back of my kegerator to age.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Finishing hops question
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 10:23:57 am »
After reading Stan's article on the interaction between hops and yeast in the latest issue of Zymurgy, I think I may go back to using a secondary when I'm going to dry hop a beer.  It appears that with yeast still in the beer that the character of the hops can change to something significantly more estery, especially in gerianol.  Looks like something to experiment with.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 10:41:28 am »
I read that article last night Denny. Very interesting. I've dryhopped in primary for years, but I think I might take the same hop combo in my current IPA (Amarillo/Centennial/Mosaic) and try it in a seconday next time to compare, in this case. Since IPAs are all about hop flavor and aroma for me, I'm pretty curious to see. Just shows how tough it is to quantify hop flavor and aromas.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 10:45:31 am »
If the experiment bears out that the best dry hop quality does come from secondary, I guess we'd have add dry hopped beers to the list of exceptions for using a secondary.
Jon H.

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 10:59:27 am »
I have a 7 gallon conical from which I can dump the yeast. When I do an 11 gallon batch with it and my bucket, I notice a difference between the beers. I do go back and forth as to which I like best though, but to me it is a discernible difference. I do remember thinking there was a difference the first time I didn't rack to secondary-but I was all too happy to get rid of all my carboys. I always dump/harvest in conical, and now wait till about day 10-11 to start dry hopping and a pretty nice "blanket" of hops covers the yeast cake in buckets after a few days.  Unless you cold crash- won't you always have yeast in contact with hops, even after racking to a secondary?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 12:15:34 pm »
Unless you cold crash- won't you always have yeast in contact with hops, even after racking to a secondary?

Yeah, but I think there will be less yeast in a secondary.  At least, that's what I hope to find out.  The article mentioned a big difference between dry hopping before and after filtering, for instance.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 12:29:06 pm »
That's how I took the article, too.  Since it mentioned dryhopping filtered wort vs unfiltered wort, and I don't (and wouldn't ) filter, the best option for me was to to compare my current method - dry hopping after krausen falls - to dry hopping in secondary when the yeast is no longer in suspension, and the beer is hopefully clear. No harm in trying.
Jon H.

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 02:11:53 pm »
Interesting indeed, I never thought of waiting for  dryhoppping after filtering/crashing. Not gonna filter but 24 hours at 40 then, secondary should be pretty clear of yeast. I have keg hopped lots but after dryhopping in fermentor first. Would be even easier to just keg as secondary, hop then and wait normal dry hopping period before trying. Need a few more bazooka screens. Guess I know what I'll be drinking in a month...