General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Advice on lager and reusing the yeast cake

(1/2) > >>

Wort-H.O.G.:
I'm interested in brewing 4 consecutive Czech pilsner lagers, reusing the wlp 802 yeast. I have never done this before, and need some advice on how to go about this. If the first round is on the yeast cake for about 3 weeks before I rack it to the corny for lagering, do I rinse the cake and just transfer the clean yeast into my clean carboy, and then add my new wort to the entire harvested yeast? How do I know if there's enough healthy yeast cells for the next lager- proper pitch rates?

Thanks in advance.

klickitat jim:
I did it for the first time last weekend. I brewed two lagers last month. On keg day I rinsed the yeast cake with a quart of sterile h2o and poured it into sterile jars. Cold crashed in the fridge overnight. Decanted the next day. Had about 3/4 cup of slurry. I pitched that in a three liter starter to wake it up a couple days before brew day.

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

davidgzach:

--- Quote from: klickitat jim on April 28, 2013, 07:49:35 AM ---I did it for the first time last weekend. I brewed two lagers last month. On keg day I rinsed the yeast cake with a quart of sterile h2o and poured it into sterile jars. Cold crashed in the fridge overnight. Decanted the next day. Had about 3/4 cup of slurry. I pitched that in a three liter starter to wake it up a couple days before brew day.

--- End quote ---

That's how you do it!  Or you can transfer, scoop out about half and re-pitch right on top.

Dave

Wort-H.O.G.:

--- Quote from: davidgzach on April 28, 2013, 09:51:10 AM ---
--- Quote from: klickitat jim on April 28, 2013, 07:49:35 AM ---I did it for the first time last weekend. I brewed two lagers last month. On keg day I rinsed the yeast cake with a quart of sterile h2o and poured it into sterile jars. Cold crashed in the fridge overnight. Decanted the next day. Had about 3/4 cup of slurry. I pitched that in a three liter starter to wake it up a couple days before brew day.

--- End quote ---

That's how you do it!  Or you can transfer, scoop out about half and re-pitch right on top.

Dave

--- End quote ---

seems like many just collect the slurry without rinsing/washing it and separating out the trub, and add the new wort. not sure if there's a best practice to follow, or if its just one of those things that there isn't an agreed upon or "right" method.  seems easily debatable either way - pro's and con's for both?

Thirsty_Monk:
Cleanliness (not introducing unwanted microorganism) is more important then rinsing the yeast.

Roughly you need about 1/2 of yeast cake for your lager for the same volume and similar OG.
Check with yeast calculators for more accurate info.

Good luck.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version