Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Finding the right place....  (Read 2336 times)

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
Finding the right place....
« on: April 30, 2013, 07:16:27 pm »
So, we bottled up a Pliny clone on Friday and I put everything in the basement as I wanted them to sit at 65.0 F.  I found out today that the temp in the basement is really more like 60.0 F.  So I started moving an inside thermometer to various parts of the house and found a location that was at 68.0 F.  The question is, which location is the right place for this brew?  60.0 F or 68.0 F?  It was fermented at 68.0 F.  It will now sit in the bottle for 30 days. 

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: Finding the right place....
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 08:19:40 pm »
I think 70* is optimal for a quick carbonation, but 60* should be fine, especially if you let it sit for 30 days.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline paul

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 10:29:17 pm »
I'd say to let it sit at 68 for two weeks.  "Age your cheese, not your Pliny!"   ;D

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Finding the right place....
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 05:13:18 am »
68-72 is optimal. And on a high abv/high hopped beer you are probably better off adding some fresh yeast at bottling time.

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 09:19:41 am »
Thanks for the replies.  It's sitting at 68.0 F right now. 

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 10:59:58 pm »
But you're talking about ambient temperature, not the temperature of the fermenting beer, correct?  Since yeast generate their own heat, and you're probably using a s#!%-ton of hops, I would go with the 60 degree spot.  I know you're already done, but who cares if it takes a week or two longer to finish?  Unless I'm mistaken, you were looking for a place to start fermentation, so if that stage takes a little longer, you will still dry-hop for the same amount of time, so don't have to worry about age affecting your hop character.  If you're using the California or American ale yeast, it's pretty versatile and will just make a cleaner beer at a lower temperature.  Just my 2 cents...
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 09:22:51 am »
But you're talking about ambient temperature, not the temperature of the fermenting beer, correct?  Since yeast generate their own heat, and you're probably using a s#!%-ton of hops, I would go with the 60 degree spot.  I know you're already done, but who cares if it takes a week or two longer to finish?  Unless I'm mistaken, you were looking for a place to start fermentation, so if that stage takes a little longer, you will still dry-hop for the same amount of time, so don't have to worry about age affecting your hop character.  If you're using the California or American ale yeast, it's pretty versatile and will just make a cleaner beer at a lower temperature.  Just my 2 cents...

I think the beer is already in bottles and he just wants to know where to condition it.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 10:13:40 am »

If he's actively fermenting, sure. The amount of heat generated by bottle conditioning in proabbly some minute it would take scientific equipment to measure it.

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 09:36:04 pm »
Yep, I misunderstood.  I was thinking about primary fermentation.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection