Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: best ereader  (Read 3657 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
best ereader
« on: April 28, 2013, 11:18:02 am »
Inspired by corky's thread . . .

I have an e-ink kindle that I love.  Unfortunately I learned that they cannot be bent in half and still function properly, so I need to get a replacement.  I'm leaning towards the same thing because the price is right and I know I will like it, but I am open to something different if it might be better.

So does anyone have any recommendations?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: best ereader
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 12:17:12 pm »
I compared before getting one for my wife and ended up getting the basic Nook.  It's even cheaper now than when I bought it.  The readability was far superior to other brands IMO.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 12:45:39 pm »
My mother-in-law has a Nook. Agree with Denny the readability was better than the other brands I've seen.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 02:59:28 pm »
If I had known about the kindle app before buying a kindle itself... well I wouldn't have bothered spending the money. The app is quite sufficient and is available for smartphones and tablets. It is free as well and one has access to all the features of the physical device as far as I can tell. 

I'm still a big supporter of e-ink but feel it hasn't been applied correctly. Ereaders have been a great start for the media but it probably would be better utilized in advertising with signs, placards etc...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 04:00:22 pm »
I use a Nook app on my iPad mini.  I like it a lot.  I used to use Stanza and buy books from Fictionwise.  My whole Fictionwise library was moved to Nook when B&N bought Fictionwise.

I like the adjustable font, and the customizable choice of font and page colors.  I really like the white print on black background for reading in bed at night.  It pushes the page where I left off in my books to my iPhone and desktop through the cloud.  I don't read books much on my desktop, but I do read books on my phone when waiting in line, waiting at the doctors office...

I stopped reading books and started listening to audio books for a while.  Having to wear glasses to read for fun sucks.  Having adjustable font sizes makes it easy to read without glasses.  My eyes are getting better.  I'm using smaller fonts as time goes by.

You can sideload books that don't come from Nook/B&N into it too.

I just purchased The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick for $1.99 from B&N.  I read it around a million years ago, and remember it being pretty thought provoking (alternative history fiction).  Thought I'd give it a go again.  It's been a while since I've read any PKD.

I am currently reading the Wool omnibus (parts 1-5).  Caught that on sale at B&N too.  They had NY Times best sellers for half price last week.  (I bought Casual Vacancy by JK Rowlings on sale then too).

Sorry I wandered off into the wilderness.  I have a Kindle Reader app and a Nook reader app on my devices.  Both are pretty good.  Nook gets a whole lot more use
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 09:44:22 pm »
The apps sounds fine and everything, but my phone has a tiny screen and I hate reading on it (I'm still using a blackberry, maybe I should upgrade).  I don't have a netbook or a tablet or whatever - I have a huge laptop, which is great for work and web, I have my blackberry, and I had a kindle.  :(
Tom Schmidlin

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 09:53:38 pm »
My wife and I both have Kindle Fire mode;s and love then.  The only problem we ever have is downloading books without an internet connection.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 05:17:20 am »
I love my Nook. It's the e-ink version with a touch screen. I haven't been keeping up on the latest, but at the time it was the best available that allowed for an SD card. Plus I can ask cute chicks if the want to see my nook.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
best ereader
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 06:35:57 am »
I read almost exclusively on my kindle. I like that it reads like paper and doesn't hurt my eyes, specially since most of my reading is done late at night. I love my iPad, but not for books.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 06:45:40 am »
Ditch the Blackberry. We recently ditched ours (for work) and I hope we never go back. My wife has owned a multitude of Kindles and loves them. I think her most recent is backlit. We also have the app on all the phones and tabs. What I cannot get her to understand is I prefer a good old book. Paper and all that jazz ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 07:49:00 am »
Puni I'm also reading the Wool omnibus. Excellent story... has had some nice plot twists to keep me interested. 
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 08:12:56 am »
If you are contemplating upgrading your phone a large screen android phone may satisfy your need for an e-reader. My phone has a five inch screen and while it's not the easiest way to read online I've done a lot of reading that way through the Kindle app.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 09:31:48 am »
I love my iPad, but not for books.

This.  I have ther Kindle and Nook apps for my iPad, as well as using the iBooks reader, and they're good.  But not as good as "genuine" e-ink.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 10:07:19 am »
Does anyone know of a site(s) where you can rent books?  For a limited period, like a couple of weeks?  I check books out from the library and sideload them into my Nook reader app, but the new popular books have a long waiting list.  New popular books are usually way overpriced to buy for a year or so, especially considering that they are only a few hundred kb of data that you transfer electronically and access with your own hardware.  I am all for intellectual property rights, and believe that authors deserve to be paid well for their work.  I don't believe that electronic books should cost the same as hardbacks though. 

I'm with you on the iPad being too big of a reader, Major.  However, my iPad mini is a great sized reader.  I gave my son my iPad and bought a mini for that reason. 
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 10:11:09 am »
My wife has a large screen android phone that is great for browsing and stuff, so I've played with those.  But I can type WAY faster and more accurately on my blackberry keyboard than on her touch screen.

I might do that though, it's on old phone and it's long past time to get a new one.

punatic, amazon has a library you can check books out from, at least for prime users.  I haven't used it much.
Tom Schmidlin