Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wheat malt...poor extraction  (Read 4956 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Wheat malt...poor extraction
« on: July 06, 2013, 12:16:51 pm »
I just started brewing a hefe, not a style I normally brew.  The last time my BG was way off on the low side.  I attributed it to not getting a good crush on the wheat malt.  So, today I double-crushed the wheat malt.  The BG was still low by 8 points.  I used 6.25 lbs wheat, 6 lbs pils, and 1 lb rice hulls.  Single infusion mash.  Aside from increasing the grain bill next time to make up for the loss in efficiency, is there something I'm missing?  Is there a better "cure" for this anomaly?  Thanks.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Wheat malt...poor extraction
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 12:48:39 pm »
Ot could be that the number you're using for the potential extract of the wheat malt is higher than the malt really is.  Just a WAG.....what potential are you using?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 08:59:22 pm »
Ot could be that the number you're using for the potential extract of the wheat malt is higher than the malt really is.  Just a WAG.....what potential are you using?

uh...whatever Promash uses under German wheat malt.  I'm using Bestmalz.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 07:29:55 am »
The mill might not be tight enough.  Try a triple crush!?!?1
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 10:24:55 am »
Correction:  Bestmalz is my pils malt.  The wheat malt is whatever German brand the LHBS is selling.

As for the crush, my mill is set such that my efficiency runs 75-77% for all brews in the ~1.050 range.  This hefe came in at 64%.  Maybe I'll have the LHBS pulverize the crap out of it next time since I don't want to mess with my mill on the few occasions when I brew a wheat beer.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 12:38:31 pm »
There is a previous thread on efficiency loss with adjuncts, but I can't find it.

Most replies noted a loss in efficiency when using wheat or rye. I tend to see a 5-7% loss when using a considerable amount of either.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 12:47:01 pm »
There is a previous thread on efficiency loss with adjuncts, but I can't find it.

Most replies noted a loss in efficiency when using wheat or rye. I tend to see a 5-7% loss when using a considerable amount of either.
Same here, it's kind of a bummer.
Jesse

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 01:02:10 pm »

The OP is using wheat malt, not an adjunct.  Anyway, I wonder if folks are seeing the same kind of losses regardless of wheat source (malt, flaked or berries).

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 08:13:52 am »
I see no loss in efficiency from wheat or rye.  I must be crushing too hard!   ;D
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 09:09:12 am »
Beersmith lists the potential for white wheat malt as 1.040 pppg. This is about 10% higher than the potential for the other base malts (1.035-1.037). I am not sure if wheat malt really has a higher extract potential, but it seems like that could be the problem.

narvin

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 09:11:18 am »
The ProMash estimate for German wheat malt is 1.039 ppg.   Looking at some of the lot analysis for Best Malz wheat on the Country Malt site (http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/maltlot.asp, enter BZW and you'll get a list), the average is only around 1.037.