Author Topic: Kettle Loss - Blichmann Hop Blocker  (Read 487 times)

Offline blatz

• Brewmaster General
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
Kettle Loss - Blichmann Hop Blocker
« on: April 29, 2013, 07:19:58 AM »
I measured the losses from my two brews this weekend (12 gal of dopplebock and 12gal of black IPA), using a Blichmann Hop Blocker.  on the first, dopple, I lost just under half gallon.  on the IPA, the hop sludge seemed to 'strand' a bunch of wort, and i wound up loosing about .75 - 7/8 of a gallon of wort. 

Bear in mind this is the liquid that is separate from the hop sludge - not much to speak of on the doppel and a whole fat disk in the center of the kettle on the ipa.

I shop vac'ed the actual available liquid to do the measurements.

does this seem excessive?  i guess as long as I get two full kegs who cares, right?  just wondering if I shouldn't try something like this instead; http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/180-Degree-Tube-Bend_p_103.html

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Kettle Loss - Blichmann Hop Blocker
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 09:25:12 AM »
That doesn't seem like a huge amount to me, maybe 5-7% loss in the kettle.  You can try to get that down if you want, but I wouldn't bother unless I had nothing else to worry about :)

I'm not sure what the point of that u-bend is or how you would use it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 09:37:15 AM »
Seems about right.

I'm not sure how this measures up to a whirlpool technique, but it's probably not as efficient. Although, as Tom indicated, it's not so bad that I would try to minimize it. Instead, I would focus my efforts on a more qualitative measure to improve my beer. Now if I were in production, it would be a different story, but for homebrewing it seems adequate.
Ron Price

Offline blatz

• Brewmaster General
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 10:05:30 AM »
I'm not sure what the point of that u-bend is or how you would use it.

the ubend would be used to suck wort from the very sidewall of the kettle after a good whirlpool.

i whirlpooled pretty good on the black ipa, but probably did not give enough settling time after turning off the pump for recirculation.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 10:13:27 AM »
Oh, I get it now.  Do you have a tube that sticks into the kettle?  Mine is basically an opening in the side.
Tom Schmidlin