Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Advice on lager and reusing the yeast cake  (Read 3250 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Advice on lager and reusing the yeast cake
« on: April 28, 2013, 08:29:07 am »
I'm interested in brewing 4 consecutive Czech pilsner lagers, reusing the wlp 802 yeast. I have never done this before, and need some advice on how to go about this. If the first round is on the yeast cake for about 3 weeks before I rack it to the corny for lagering, do I rinse the cake and just transfer the clean yeast into my clean carboy, and then add my new wort to the entire harvested yeast? How do I know if there's enough healthy yeast cells for the next lager- proper pitch rates?

Thanks in advance.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Advice on lager and reusing the yeast cake
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 08:49:35 am »
I did it for the first time last weekend. I brewed two lagers last month. On keg day I rinsed the yeast cake with a quart of sterile h2o and poured it into sterile jars. Cold crashed in the fridge overnight. Decanted the next day. Had about 3/4 cup of slurry. I pitched that in a three liter starter to wake it up a couple days before brew day.

"Friends don't let friends drink bad beer"

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 10:51:10 am »
I did it for the first time last weekend. I brewed two lagers last month. On keg day I rinsed the yeast cake with a quart of sterile h2o and poured it into sterile jars. Cold crashed in the fridge overnight. Decanted the next day. Had about 3/4 cup of slurry. I pitched that in a three liter starter to wake it up a couple days before brew day.

That's how you do it!  Or you can transfer, scoop out about half and re-pitch right on top.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 09:45:25 am »

That's how you do it!  Or you can transfer, scoop out about half and re-pitch right on top.

Dave

seems like many just collect the slurry without rinsing/washing it and separating out the trub, and add the new wort. not sure if there's a best practice to follow, or if its just one of those things that there isn't an agreed upon or "right" method.  seems easily debatable either way - pro's and con's for both?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 06:06:41 pm »
Cleanliness (not introducing unwanted microorganism) is more important then rinsing the yeast.

Roughly you need about 1/2 of yeast cake for your lager for the same volume and similar OG.
Check with yeast calculators for more accurate info.

Good luck.   
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 07:32:21 am »
If you are brewing right away on the cake then there's usually no real benefit to rinsing first unless you added something to the first beer in the fermentor that might carry through (spices/coffee/chocolate/etc.). If you are brewing four beers consecutively on the same yeast it might be worthwhile to rinse the yeast after the second or third batch just to reduce the amount of trub you have in the fermentor, especially if you are using a fermentor with minimal head space.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 07:43:28 am »
i will do lagers about 3 in a row.  i just go right on top of the previous cake.  i try to always be going up in gravity as i go (scuccessive starter theory 8)
Don AHA member