General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

starter volume

(1/3) > >>

BP79:
Whenever I make a starter, I always decant off the 'beer' and just pitch the slurry.  I recently upgraded to a 2L flask, am brewing a 1.078 ale, and according to Mr. Malty I should prepare a 1.7L starter using just one White Labs Vial.  My question is: if I'm decanting off the 'beer', what difference does the volume of the starter make, as long as it's around 1.040 OG?  Does volume correlate to yeast growth?

repo:
Yes it does, but it's not linear. Isn't that why you "upgraded" to a 2l flask. 
 http://www.yeastcalc.com/index.html   
This lets you play with sizes and see the growth differences.

Wort-H.O.G.:

--- Quote from: BP79 on April 29, 2013, 10:22:32 AM ---Whenever I make a starter, I always decant off the 'beer' and just pitch the slurry.  I recently upgraded to a 2L flask, am brewing a 1.078 ale, and according to Mr. Malty I should prepare a 1.7L starter using just one White Labs Vial.  My question is: if I'm decanting off the 'beer', what difference does the volume of the starter make, as long as it's around 1.040 OG?  Does volume correlate to yeast growth?

--- End quote ---

and for what its worth - many experienced folks on this site have said 1.40 is not optimal for a yeast starter. healthier cells are created south of 1.035, and 1.030-1.032 seemed to be the recommendation.

erockrph:
The difference is at a given concentration of wort a larger volume of starter has more sugar for the yeast to eat. Volume doesn't correlate to yeast growth, but total amount of sugar does.

BP79:
Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version